Thread: 454 Blower Motor

CARRERAJET
    I Was Wondering If Anybody Has Any Thoughts On A 671 On A 454 Is It To Small Or Would It Be Okay For A Mild Blower Motor With 8:1 Compression And A Fair Cam. It Is Going In A New Carrera I Am Building With A Hi Helix A Impeller And Shoe And Ride Plate Looking For Good All Around Boat For Sking And Just Blasting Around Any Thoughts Would Be Great

kmenard
    my uncle had a 502 with a 671 and made 6lbs all day long...I don't see a problem with that being too small for a 454.

Slacker
    I am running a TBS 6-71 on a 468 bbc with stock pullies( 58 top 53 bottom) pulling 6lbs in a gullwing. Running good so far...

ghittner
    A 671 is great for a 454 motor that already has a higher compreession ratio like 9 or 10:1 but if you're building a blower specific motor @ 8:1 you'll be spinning that blower way to fast and making a ton of heat to get the pounds you need. @ 8:1 on pump gas you can blow 8 Pds of boost safely and a 671 won't get you there on an 8:1 motor. But it will make a ton of heat making it try to. Best to go with an 871 or larger on that motor.

CARRERAJET
    Thanks For The Help

river redy
    A 671 is great for a 454 motor that already has a higher compreession ratio like 9 or 10:1 but if you're building a blower specific motor @ 8:1 you'll be spinning that blower way to fast and making a ton of heat to get the pounds you need. @ 8:1 on pump gas you can blow 8 Pds of boost safely and a 671 won't get you there on an 8:1 motor. But it will make a ton of heat making it try to. Best to go with an 871 or larger on that motor.
    Like he said a 671 will generate lots of heat, I switched mine to a 1071 and running 15lbs of boost and no problems and its a 454

skytop
    I have a 177 Series Weiand on my 502. Starts instantly, runs cool, produces plenty of power and looks great. Have had no problems at all and no heat problems whatsoever. I am running about 8# of boost for max reliability on the water with at least a realistic 100+ hp gain.
    Only difficulty revolved around the very limited space for the thermostat (water diverter) housing. The housing resides under the long snout where there is a recess for it. I installed a fresh water cooling system and needed to draw the plumping off to the starboard side of the engine. Chevy runs all their auto accessories off on the port (driver's) side. After much searching, I finally found that low and behold, Holley identified this problem and has just begun manufacturing a reversable thermostate housing that goes either way. Bet they just love that in California!!! ;-)
    In conclusion, the 177 series supercharger is a joy to look at and tons of fun to use. Totally reliable and compatible with the Chevy big block.