Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Olds 455 Distributor Setup

zazoos2
    Hey Gang, I have really been burning up the forums lately. So thanks for the help.
    HEI Distributor
    Where is your number one plug wire located on the cap in relation to the part of the coil that extends out for the bat and tach wire. If you are in front of the engine (pulley is front to me) is the number one wire just before the coil or just afterwards?
    Thanks again,
    Trent

FOXMAN
    I just have to ask... You tried to hook up the distributor. Then the dual feed carb dewhicky. Then the alternater.. They all kicked you in the shitter.. Did the boat start on fire during any of this???

zazoos2
    I was able to start the boat last night. It was running pretty rough though. Hence my distributor setup question.
    Trent

Wet Dream
    It doesn't matter. When the number one cylinder is at top dead center, pull the distributor cap. The rotor is now pointing to number one. Where the cap fits, that terminal is number one. Take that wire to cylinder one. Follow the firing order 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 and the next terminal goes to the next plug which is 8, then 4...etc. Clockwise!!!

zazoos2
    Just to make sure I fully understand.
    Essentially I could drop the distributor in with the rotor pointing anywhere as long as the number one cylinder is TDC on compression stroke and then hook up my plug wires from that point using where the rotor is pointing as the starting point for the plug wires. Then just follow the firing order.
    Trent

Wet Dream
    Yup.

76ANTHONY
    Just to make sure I fully understand.
    Essentially I could drop the distributor in with the rotor pointing anywhere as long as the number one cylinder is TDC on compression stroke and then hook up my plug wires from that point using where the rotor is pointing as the starting point for the plug wires. Then just follow the firing order.
    Trent
    10-4 u got it

FOXMAN
    It doesn't matter. When the number one cylinder is at top dead center, pull the distributor cap. The rotor is now pointing to number one. Where the cap fits, that terminal is number one. Take that wire to cylinder one. Follow the firing order 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 and the next terminal goes to the next plug which is 8, then 4...etc. Clockwise!!!
    Well it does matter... If he has the distributor dropped in a couple of teeth off the vacuum advance will be pointed at..... the alternator?? not so bad.. The leaking dual feed to the carb OH NOOOO!!
    If memory serves me... Vac advance should be at.... 8:00 ??? If it isnt.. pull the distibutor back out and bump it over to get it in the right spot..

Wet Dream
    If I remember correctly, you can only place the vac can from the 9 to 5 positions regardless of what intake you have. The HEI is too big for tunnels and the runners on the Torker won't let you get full rotation. You'll be fine.

FOXMAN
    And the distributor rotates COUNTER clock wise.. on a olds.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast