Thread: Anybody know where to get a 468?

green250
    Looking around. where to start??

TIMINATOR
    Start by, where are you? How much do you plan on spending? What does it go into? You will get more local help if your info under the avatar tells where you are, this will hold true on most posts. Different boaters in different parts of the country have different needs, and often, different types of boats. TIMINATOR

bp
    Looking around. where to start??
    468 is what you end up with when you have a 454 bored out 0.060. so you would start with a stock bore/stroke 454.

Jordy
    468 is what you end up with when you have a 454 bored out 0.060. so you would start with a stock bore/stroke 454.
    I was thinking the same thing... Why start with a block that's already 0.060 out??? :idea:

hkunz
    Or, you can take a 455 and go 0.060" over, and that's also a 468. Depends upon how pretty you want it....

Jordy
    Or, you can take a 455 and go 0.060" over, and that's also a 468. Depends upon how pretty you want it....
    Again, you're starting off with a block that's 0.060" out??? Why do that if you're starting fresh??? And why build an Olds for a boat anyway??? Just asking for more problems there.

bp
    you gotta olds in this x-flight???
    if you have a stock bore/stroke 454, only bore it as much as needed to make the holes round, if at all. maintain some wall thickness for strength. if you want to make it bigger, a 4.25" stroke would square the thing, give yoiu 482" with no bore, and make a nice torquey jetboat engine...

hkunz
    Na, the X-Flight has a 600 SCi/XR. My Tahiti has a 461 (455 0.030" over) with wasted rod and main bearings, soon to be either a 464 (0.040" over) or 468 (0.060" over), depending upon the cleanup required. I found a complete unmolested takeout car engine last night, I may even just drop that in for the rest of the summer.

bp
    my '77 lake tanker-jet came with a 454, all the old harmon marine stuff is still on it, 3-point system and all. i removed the thing 6 months ago to fix an oil leak, and to work on the floor. i was talking about it to someone, and curiousity got the best of me so i jotted down the block number and checked it out; manufactured in either 90 or 91, 4bolt main.
    i just got this thing last year, so my guess is that some previous owner trashed the original engine, went to a yard and found something out of a truck and stuck it in there. the thing runs fine for now, so i'll make it through this summer then we'll do something with it next winter. all i really care about is that it's a 4-bolt, so it can be used to make some power...

TIMINATOR
    BBChevies from the 70s have VERY thick cylinder walls, most will go .125 over. That makes a 482 with just a bore. We've done dozens of them with no issues. When that wears out we bore them to .140 over, again no issues. The big bore helps unshrud the valves too, so more power yet! It is rare to find a BBC with much core shift. We do a bunch of +.100 and + .125 with a .250 stroke too. We even did a 454 to a stock 502 bore of 4.470 which is .220 over, and then put a 1/4 stroker in it too. But then again we have a sonic tester and know how much meat is there before we bore. BBFords regularly go .080 over too, we sonic them if we go much bigger, but issues are rare there too. TIMINATOR