Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1978 beachcomber build

BaconBoy
    Well its not pretty just getting ready to do the build after running it all last summer its time to give it a new look. and possibly a motor. thinking of doing a SBC swap. the olds 455 needs a rebuild and i just dont know if i want to go thought the hassle of doing so. also i dont know if anyone can tell but is this hull worth saving as well. need to fix some cracks in it. if you guys can tell from pics that would be grate. lol if not i'll buy someone some beer to check it out.
    http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/k...6/DSCN0505.jpg
    http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/k...6/DSCN0509.jpg
    http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/k...6/DSCN0517.jpg
    http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/k...6/DSCN0521.jpg
    http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/k...6/DSCN0533.jpg
    http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/k...6/DSCN0536.jpg

Jet Hydro
    A friend of mine has one running 9.0`s in the 1/4 mile.
    it`s all up to you if you want to spend the time

BaconBoy
    i don't mind spending time. just want to make sure it would be safe for my wife and I. i may be installing a fuel injected 8.1 crate that i can possibly pick up for a nice price. i just want to make sure im not just putting a bandaid on a fatal wound if you know what i mean.

BaconBoy
    anyone know much about this hull . i don't see much write ups on beachcomber's
    kinda sounds like the red headed step child of jet boats. lol :idea:

Hey BaconBoy,Your hull looks exactly like Mine.Mine is a 73 Kona,which is a splash of a Tahiti Tiger,The tahiti was the original hull like ours,I think?
    Any way The konas were built as full stringer boats while the Tahiti only had 1/4 stringers for engine mounts and a full floor.You'rs looks to have the 1/4 stringer and some other type os stringer running up front.
    I am no fiber glass expert ,but have done quite a bit of it,and from what i see the cracks are repair able and mostly cosmettic.It will take a bit of work to fix them ,but not that hard to do.just make sure there are not any major cracks in the bottom of the hull.
    I have a thread going on on this board about My restoration,only all the pics have been deleted ,when this board was shut down a while back.I am however in the process of moving the thread over to Performanceboats,and all the pictures are viewable there.
    The name of the thread on here is 73 kona resto build.You should check out ,if You havent allready,Performanceboats.com,and the name of the thread over there is 73 kona resto build II.Good luck with You'r project and if You have any questions ,Ill be glad to help if I can...Hal

BaconBoy
    Hey BaconBoy,Your hull looks exactly like Mine.Mine is a 73 Kona,which is a splash of a Tahiti Tiger,The tahiti was the original hull like ours,I think?
    Any way The konas were built as full stringer boats while the Tahiti only had 1/4 stringers for engine mounts and a full floor.You'rs looks to have the 1/4 stringer and some other type os stringer running up front.
    I am no fiber glass expert ,but have done quite a bit of it,and from what i see the cracks are repair able and mostly cosmettic.It will take a bit of work to fix them ,but not that hard to do.just make sure there are not any major cracks in the bottom of the hull.
    I have a thread going on on this board about My restoration,only all the pics have been deleted ,when this board was shut down a while back.I am however in the process of moving the thread over to Performanceboats,and all the pictures are viewable there.
    The name of the thread on here is 73 kona resto build.You should check out ,if You havent allready,Performanceboats.com,and the name of the thread over there is 73 kona resto build II.Good luck with You'r project and if You have any questions ,Ill be glad to help if I can...Hal
    thanks bro. ya its only a 1/4 stringer. no crack at the bottom just up top in the 2 rear corners. i am a do it yourself type i dont mind paying shoops or anything but i like to take pride in all the work on the boat with giveing credit to friends that help. just means more to me being able to figure this stuff out with alittle reaserch. thanks for all the help and i'll check out performanceboats as well. and post pics as i do more work. :crossx:

BaconBoy
    thanks bro. ya its only a 1/4 stringer. no crack at the bottom just up top in the 2 rear corners. i am a do it yourself type i dont mind paying shoops or anything but i like to take pride in all the work on the boat with giveing credit to friends that help. just means more to me being able to figure this stuff out with alittle reaserch. thanks for all the help and i'll check out performanceboats as well. and post pics as i do more work. :crossx:
    oh and all thats up front is the seat platforms. nothis to speical. i wana do somthing to the sided tho. i think when i build the speaker houseing im going brace the sides alittle.

copterzach
    I restored this one a few years ago. It is 1978 Beachcomber.

'76Southwind
    I got my boat a few years ago and kinda wish mine came with stripped interior. At massive price reduction of course. Your fiberglass work looks minor, just prepare to be itchy. I would run herringbone pattern teak in the engine compartment, I've got carpet now and it's retarded, it just soaks up anything that goes to the bilge. Even brushed aluminum or stainless would be better. good luck

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast