Thread: She wont fire?....73' Olds 455

avenger73
    I'm new to the Boating world....been lurking on this forum for awhile ...lol...
    I just pulled the Old Avenger out (after 10 months of storage,... our boating season is tooo short lol ) and changed the oil,charged the battery,hooked up the water and she just wont fire??...Thought maybe fuel,..so I chucked some down the carb still nothing! Pulled #1 plug and got the wife to crank it over....nothing....no spark at all!!! Not even a weak spark!...
    It is old,... its got points on it which I know nothing about...
    One friend asked if I left the batt hooked up while it was stored?....I DID leave it hooked up...He said that might have caused a problem...but what kind of problem?....
    I had other "friends" messing with the coil saying it might be bad... they changed it out with one that did not need the resistor,...now Im not sure if they put the wires back to the proper spots on the resistor and such when they put the old coil back on.
    Now I have to make sure everything is back to the way it sould be.....then back to the original problem...lol...
    Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!!
    Thanks again Guys!
    AVENGER.

TANGO
    Find yourself any old boy that grew up with point dist.back in the 50s to 70s and he can have that thing running in 5 min. Tango

Lucky7
    Take off the dist. cap and turn the motor over until the points open (the rubbing block on the points arm will be pushed open by the cam), check to find out what the gap is on the points (with a clean feeler gauge, NO OIL on it, or the points will burn out quicker!) should be about .017, if not adjust by loosening the screw. Better yet, get a new set (I liked the Blue Streak brand) and make sure that you put a small amount of the supplied lube on the cam. Also, get a new condenser (I learned to carry a spare!), and a new rotor. Shouldn't set you back more than $25 bucks for everything, but times have changed, and so have the prices! Takes about a half an hour, and 2-3 beers.
    Good Luck, John.

avenger73
    Thanks guys! I will get the mew parts mentioned....and Ill find myself an old gearhead thats familiar with the old points system and see if he can get her to fire!
    Its killing me! there a guy at the water with a 16' cobra with a 90hp outboard who keeps telling everyone that his boat will eat mine for dinner!!!...I need to show him up!!!! Hope I can beat him in a drag and top speed...there is a case of cold ones on the line...lmao!...high stakes
    Thanks again Guys,...
    AVENGER.

GlenCoeMiniDay
    I have a low miles Stock HEI That you could buy to replace that old points stuff. Cap Rotor Coil Wires too I think.

Lucky7
    You can do it yourself! No big deal, just look it over, and take your time.
    Don't leave the key on when you're not running, or the points will continue to flow juice thru them, burning them out quicker.
    I had (have) a 75 Avenger w/a 455, it went 55~56 w/thru hull exhaust. When I got a set of wet headers it went about 61.
    His boat w/a 90 sounds like my buddies old Bajaw/a 90, good for about 46~48. Just don't be sleeping, get the holeshot on him and never look back.
    Good Luck, John.