Thread: Super mag vs. Sprint mag

Ian
    I currently have an old vertex on my motor, but I want to switch to a newer mag. I've been looking through some catalouges and I see that Mallory and MSD both make mags, can anyone tell me the difference between these two mags besides the price. My buddy runs a super mag and he has to run two batterys so he can spin the motor fast enough to produce a spark when he starts it, does the same go for a sprint mag. Also we are currently running a 671, but we are planning on switching to a 12 or 14 in the near future, should I buy an offset mag now, or can I convert it later. Lastly what do you think my old vertex is worth? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated

Others can probably tell you the difference in these mags better than myself but I'm just curious why you're not considering a high output electronic like MSD, Crane, or others. If this is a recreational type boat that see's alot of "idle time" they run much cleaner (more spark at low rpm) and keep you from continually loading the plugs up. Mags work great at more rpm but they use a little horsepower up too. Just thought I'd throw that out for discussion.

Ian
    Thanks for the reply rexone, the mag is in our blown flat, so it doesn't see much idle time. Plus we run a total loss electrical system. We are in the process of installing Enderle injection and doubling the boost, so we want to upgrade the ingnition as well.

caution 2
    I super mag puts out more amps than a sprint mag, they are less reliable than a vertex, you can send it to Don Zig he can put a external coil on it like a mallory and double your output, and still have it reliable,and later get your offset for your larger blower. Jim Brock

Fiat48
    I 2nd that motion on keeping the vertex unless you are running alcohol. Then I would suggest Super mag III. A Sprint mag is less mag than your vertex. I don't advise MSD electronic stuff with a blown motor because a failure in the ignition can mean a hydraulic situation.

DEL51
    Flat48,I don't understand why a failure would lead to a hydraulic situation. As long as the valves are venting the unused fuel and air, wouldn't that be enough to prevent it?

Fiat48
    DEL51:
    Flat48,I don't understand why a failure would lead to a hydraulic situation. As long as the valves are venting the unused fuel and air, wouldn't that be enough to prevent it? Valves won't vent liquid or very little of it. Liquid doesn't compress, so there you have a hydraulic situation. Example: I put a rev limiter on my first blown alcohol motor. Little switch box that shut off the ignition if the RPM exceeded 8500. Thought it was the smart thing to do. 1st run, the limiter malfunctioned and shut off the ignition at about 7,000 rpm. Ignition is dead, injector pump still pumping fuel, throttle still wide open, blower pumping in the fuel. Hydraulic, put the pushrods right through the valve covers, broke rocker studs, etc. No rev limiters for me. You are more apt to hydraulic with an injected alcohol motor than you are a gas carb motor though. Twice the fuel with alcohol and injector pump turns as long as the engine does.