i've read about the winds, mapped the marinas, read about the campgrounds but it's hard to know the real "nuts and bolts" of a boat trip up there without having visited yet.
my issues/questions/thoughts:
1) i'll be drinking and i don't want to drive all over trying to put the boat in the water, take it out, meet up with people, etc. i'm trying to find a campground where all those activities can be minimized. ideally i'd own a house with my own launch ramp and have a hired boat driver so it didn't matter how much i abused my liver on any given day. (please no lectures on drunk boating, it's another topic)
2) it's $20 in, $20 out, $30 roundtrip from what i understand. could a person anchor off shore with a fluke anchor (bow and stern) and keep it there overnight? if so, where are some campgrounds where doing so would be possible and close to your actual campsite. it's pretty clear i couldn't anchor on the east shore (waves), but is there any shoreline that is pretty calm all day? is the shoreline sandy enough for a fluke to grab pretty good?
3) i've got an "old" jet boat, it's low in the water. i've got an awesome bilge system but i'm not crazy. is it practical to boat out there in such a small vessel, provided i stay away from the east side as winds pick up? if the waves get big, what are they like along the shorelines, is it possible to limp back to calmer waters or is it a death trap?
4) most importantly with regard to number 3, i have a heck of a time docking the boat because most are too tall and just swallow the boat, it goes underneath them. are there some in particular that are "jet boat friendly"?
5) what are the best camping areas where you can launch, park your rig, walk on-shore for supplies and anchor easily?
thanks in advance, cheers!