Thread: Been gone a while, but got the bite again...

Elkidminoltu
    Hey all (or those of you who are left ),
    I was on here a couple years ago talking about a 21' Kona in Reno, NV that I was dying to have but did't have a tow vehicle to get it back to the midwest. Long story short, never got it and I kick myself everyday for it now.
    Anyway, I was cruising a the local Detroit craigslist and came across a jet boat for sale that basically said, "needs restoration, no motor, make offer." Hmmmm:idea: Called the guy up and this is what he provides me:
    1970 19.5' Fresno his father purchased while in the service in Cali
    Berkley Pump
    Has all engine dress up parts and various peices (coolant plate, etc.), no motor though
    Has buckets and a bench (the frames) needs re-upolstering(sp?)
    Trailer is starting to rust bad, single axle
    Red with white stripes (chipped and faded gel coat)
    Says the stringers are solid as well as the hull, he sounded very sure of himself
    AND that part about best offer turned into $1500.....
    I took a look around the interwebz and seems these are tough boats to find which I am all for, but to me, $1500 is a little steep for a resto minus motor. I could have had that Kona w/everything for a grand.:jawdrop: and running boats around here are just at the 3K mark.
    Any suggestions on what it would be worth? I got to look at it next Sunday and will take pics then. I know this thread is worthless w/o them.
    I do have a 402 BB sitting around that was going to go into the El Camino but I think a punch out and marine rotating assembly may be it's new route.
    I need your professional input, thanks fellas!

Midlake Crisis
    Post a pic or the link for the ad so we check it out!

GunninGopher
    Just because a boat is hard to find, doesn't make it "rare". I wouldn't even consider what you describe, especially since you have to travel to get it!! You are looking at a complete rebuild, on a boat that isn't worth much if it is running!
    This is a good time to buy a boat, especially what you seem to be looking for, a project. I thought about selling my great running '79 Charger 19' cruiser last August, but I quickly realized that I wouldn't get near what it was worth to me. I mean, I probably couldn't even get $4000 for it, and it starts on the first crank every time, pulls hard and I've never had a problem with it after I rebuilt the fuel system.
    If you are looking for a project, take a junker trailer over a junker boat. After that make sure that that the name is good. As far as I know, the Spectra sited below is a decent name. and make sure that the wood is good, too, because when that goes, the whole boat is junk. It sounds like you're ready to go with a powerplant, so get one that someone has done the resto work on the interior and gelcoat. Get someone that has done the work you don't want to do and just needs to offload the project.

Elkidminoltu
    Just because a boat is hard to find, doesn't make it "rare". I wouldn't even consider what you describe, especially since you have to travel to get it!! You are looking at a complete rebuild, on a boat that isn't worth much if it is running!
    This is a good time to buy a boat, especially what you seem to be looking for, a project. I thought about selling my great running '79 Charger 19' cruiser last August, but I quickly realized that I wouldn't get near what it was worth to me. I mean, I probably couldn't even get $4000 for it, and it starts on the first crank every time, pulls hard and I've never had a problem with it after I rebuilt the fuel system.
    If you are looking for a project, take a junker trailer over a junker boat. After that make sure that that the name is good. As far as I know, the Spectra sited below is a decent name. and make sure that the wood is good, too, because when that goes, the whole boat is junk. It sounds like you're ready to go with a powerplant, so get one that someone has done the resto work on the interior and gelcoat. Get someone that has done the work you don't want to do and just needs to offload the project.
    Thank you for the suggestions. I'll keep this in the back of my mind. I don't have to travel far being as I am located in Detroit. That Spectra is beautiful and would be exactly what I am looking for, but I am afraid he'll be asking much more than I can give.