Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pump rebuild

BrendellaJet
    In my quest to go fast, I have decided that I should go through my Jacuzzi 12WJ before I spend needless money on motor mods. I went over to ADM today and could not believe what a mess that shop was. Further more, when he gave me the rebuild manual, it was the one by Seloc which I have heard not to buy because it does not cover the process for my pump. When I mentioned this to the owner, he said he was sure that it did, so I figured okay, this guy must know. Sure enough, it only includes a very detailed schematic of how it is assembled, but does not cover clearances or any torque settings. The manual does state however that the WJ is similar to the YJ. Is this true? Can I use the same clearances and torque settings? The guy at ADM said that I should get the energizer kit. I told him that Jack @ MPD said he could modify my bowl for a berkely nozzle(place diverter), and he(ADM) said that they would charge 3-4K for the work. I knew this was BS because Jack said that for a complete rebuild and impeller detailing, with the berkely nozzle mod, it would cost about a thousand dollars. I would rather farm out the impeller work, with me doing everything else, not only to save cash, but to learn about my pump.Can someone help me with this info? Who is right?

GunninGopher
    I read about 2-3 years ago that the hot-ticket for the WJ was to cut it for a berkley impeller. I believe that a shop in orange county was doing it for about $1200 at the time. If I'm not mistaken (and I don't want to start a fight) they said that it would make it perform better than any pump berkley and jacuzzi ever made. I read it in HB, if anyone remembers.

flat broke
    ADM has a strong rep as a hack shop. If you've already spoken with Jack at MPD, I'm kind of curious why you would bother with ADM. Do a search on for ADM on the boards and I'm sure you can find some "interesting stories". The bottom line is Jack does great work. I have yet to hear even one story about a customer that used MPD and was not satisfied with the results.
    Chris

jacuzer
    Sorry about your bad experience, seems to happen a lot with that place. Flat Broke is right, do a search on that shop and see what you missed. It makes for some good reading. And remember to "tell a friend".
    How do you like the bogus reason for not covering the "WJ" in the manual? Because it was used in some racing applications. What a cop out. If that was the case there should only be a couple of pumps in the book.
    I was like you, save some $$$, learn about the thing. I got the bowl off and that's about it. Couldn't get the impeller off. Took it to the pro(MPD), paid my money and was very happy with the results. The most important thing with having it done at a good shop is that they know all the gotcha's and deal with them. How many WJ's would you have to do (without a manual)to learn all that? I'm not saying it's impossible to do it yourself, but general knowledge about the WJ is harder to come by than with a Berk/Dom/Agg/Leg/AT.
    The basics:
    .035 front clearance set by shimming the bearing cavity forward. The WJ has a tapered impeller, the shaft is not cut to change the clearance.
    radial clearance will be whatever the plastic wear ring you get gives you. There is only one size that I know of.
    Standard torgue specs, 3/8 coarse bolt into aluminum. (Don't know that one off the top of my head)

jim lee
    ROFL!!! $3k - $4k ?!?!
    No nonono.. I just took my WJ to Jack (MPD) about a month ago. I'd seized it up on a WOT run and trashed its insides. (Long story)
    Jack fixed it, cleaned up everything inside includeing stuff that wasn't due to the problem I took it in for. Did the modification for the Place diverter that you were talking about. Chopping off the end of the bowl.
    Deliviered to my doorstep, all for less than $500. AND did it with an extra quick turn around. This was so I could take the boat on a trip we'd planned to the Mississippi river.
    Oh yeah, and the pump works GREAT!
    And..
    The YJ is nothing like the WJ. The WJ is mixed flow pump, like a Berk. The YJ is a axial flow like a panther. I'd doubt the specs for one would be usefull for the other.
    Hope this helps!
    -jim lee

AGGRESSOR JETS
    jim lee:
    ROFL!!! $3k - $4k ?!?!
    No nonono.. I just took my WJ to Jack (MPD) about a month ago. I'd seized it up on a WOT run and trashed its insides. (Long story)
    Jack fixed it, cleaned up everything inside includeing stuff that wasn't due to the problem I took it in for. Did the modification for the Place diverter that you were talking about. Chopping off the end of the bowl.
    Deliviered to my doorstep, all for less than $500. AND did it with an extra quick turn around. This was so I could take the boat on a trip we'd planned to the Mississippi river.
    Oh yeah, and the pump works GREAT!
    And..
    The YJ is nothing like the WJ. The WJ is mixed flow pump, like a Berk. The YJ is a axial flow like a panther. I'd doubt the specs for one would be usefull for the other.
    Hope this helps!
    -jim leeWJ is just as above-it will take a little more HP than a Y- Watch out for the Bearing Cap Flex with HP on both. Takes out everything. You can machine your shaft to accept our's or Dom's,AT,Berk Impeller- You will be required to open up the bowl also. W/Rings- Lipped can be set by double linner. We now have a new Kit out for dealers to convert to this set up & includes full rebuild Kit also. Complete Unit Lists for $880.00 including Impeller,W/Ring, complete rebuild kit, Machine of shaft & Bowl.
    (Jacuzzi Mod. Kit) New Shafts to this conversion are also avail. You can also get a Step up Kit- from our Dealers @ $1850.00 Including new shaft, Impeller,9Vane Bowl,Nozz Housing, Nozzle System,& Balance of rebuild kit,Seals, Gaskets etc.Dave

FoMoCo
    Go with MPD he has the best bang for the buck, and he does a reaaly professial job!! I had him do my pump 2 years ago, it still looks great!! He helped my little 429 Big Block Ford boat hit 82.4mph!!!
    www.fomocomotorsports.20m.com

SoCalPower
    You can't go wrong with MPD.
    db

77charger
    **** ADM.I went there years ago(88) to get an energizer kit for my golden eagle.Now i found out the rep for a hack shop.I took the recomendation fro mthis board about mpd and jack spent some hours on my pump(more than what he charged me for too).And pump never has worked better.I am very happy with it.the wj can be reworked but the yj needs the energizer i have the american turbine but am skeltical about the quality of the steering parts didnt like the way they fit but at the time that was the only option now aggressor makes them am i would seriously take a look at theres too now that you would have more choices.

Floored
    I have a modified wj that has an adaptor ring bolted to the bowl allowing my jacuzzi to run a berkley droop and place diverter w/ride plate. I called MPD one day to ask about my weird pump combo and Jack took the time to tell me about the conversions and said he would be willing to look at my pump and make recommendations if I brought the boat down. He didn't know me from diddly squat but was polite and helpful and I'll go there when I need help, and get time, I'm always working. I was told that mine was a popular conversion years ago, many done by MPD.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast