Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: How to smoke a v drive

BrendellaJet
    My dad was boasting today about how much faster his 66 Lavey Craft v drive is going to be than my 77 Brendella Jet. He has a reworked Olds 455, it makes about 400hp. I dont know much else about it except that it has a Casale v drive unit in it and through transom logs. My 454/Jacuzzi 12WJ/B combo dose 60 right now. The only upgrade to the motor is a mild cam and headers. I am upgrading to a Performance Distributors HEI, and installing a new electric fuel pump this week and am hoping for 65(it starts to miss at top end around 5grand or so and timing/tuning haven't fixed the problem. I know I dont give you many details, but thats because I dont know them, and I am willing to do whatever it takes to beat him. A pump rebuild is scheduled for this winter( it gets out of the hole great! but I want to eliminate any week links), and I am going to go through the motor and check things out to plan more mods. He hasn't but the boat in the water yet, so I dont know how fast it is. What does it take for my jet to beat his v drive? How fast will his boat be? I have 4 thousand to spend on it, although, I could probably squeez an extra 2500 if necessary. What speed is too fast in my hull? Thanks for your response!

BBTAHITI
    Dad has an oldmobile? Speed is not how you beat Dad, DURATION is! Make Dad keep that Oldmobile WFO for a couple minutes and you'll win! He'll slow when he spinS a bearing!

Buy a faster V-drive than Dad's

BrendellaJet
    058:
    Buy a faster V-drive than Dad's Both funny responses, but since I helped build the motor, and I like my jet, I need some real alternatives. Anybody out there have a reliable setup that smokes the v-drives? Please help.

rrrr
    058:
    Buy a faster V-drive than Dad's Bang!

flat broke
    BrendellaJet:
    058:
    Buy a faster V-drive than Dad's Both funny responses, but since I helped build the motor, and I like my jet, I need some real alternatives. Anybody out there have a reliable setup that smokes the v-drives? Please help.Everything is relative... Even my Spectra 20 ran away from a V-Drive on the go the other weekend at the river. Never mind the fact that it was probably a mild small block powered V-drive I can point you to quite a few Jetboats that will outrun a good deal of the flatties crusing the lakes/river. But then you take it up a notch and you have the guys in V'drives that can smoke some of the fastest jets. The bottom line is that there is always someone faster. If you build your jet to run a legit 70 on GPS, I'm sure there are more than a couple of V'drives out there you could beat... even more "90mph" jetboats that you would probably be able to pull. Who cares what the other guy is spinning, be it a prop or an impeller, if you race and he pulls you, you still lose. Regardless of whether it's a jet or a V'drive. The better way to go about your project is to decide how fast you want your boat to go. So go GPS dads V'drive, then build your boat to be 5mph or so faster and you've met your objective. Just realize that Dad will probably upgrade the V'drive to run 5mph faster than you and so the progression will continue.
    Good luck,
    Chris

waterslinger
    Try a NOS system. Use caution the stuff is like
    crack. You can get hooked real easy. Use your head a play with a 125 shot. Need to fix the miss
    and have a good fuel set up.

BrendellaJet
    Flat broke, thanks for the advice, I think that sounds like a good idea. I do not think my dads set up is maximized. He bought the boat and put a new motor in it, thats it. He hasn't checked out the prop selection or gears yet, so who knows. I have entertained the NOS idea. I have also considered a supercharger too. Last question, I have seen the boat races on TV and seen horror accidents about boats flipping over from getting too much air underneath them. If you are familiar with my hull(77 Brendella Bubble deck), how fast can my boat go safely?

Hallett19
    V-Drives are probably the most efficient drive in boats, sorry to break it to you, guys cruise around at 60 mph @ 2500 rpm's and lots of guys can top even small blocks out around 70+mph which is difficult for a jet to get that speed. Pickle the load has a jet that runs almost 100 off the bottle and probably 110 on the bottle, but he has a new Ultra 19 Shadow tunnel hull with a twin carb tunnel ram 540 Merlin. It is rare a v-drive steps to him and wins but that is also a rediculous setup, 540 merlin is a TON of HP and tourque, and alot of $$$$$.

Jungle Boy

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast