Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: no wake zones on the river

Someone set me straight on this . first I want to say that I am respectful of other boaters and their property, so I'm driving down the river and for as far as I can see there are No wake zones posted , now I know that coming into the marinas you see the markers and it is very obvious that it is 5 mph .You get past a marina and you see more no wake and some of the signs say no wake 200 ft. I don't want to do anything wrong so what is the rule ?

justfloatn
    It's 5MPH within 200' of any swimming beach, dock, swimming platform or landing where boats are tied up. It's 100' from any person in the water excluding water skier.
    Here is a link to the ABC's of California Boating.
    http://www.dbw.ca.gov/Pubs/Abc/
    IMO this is one of the reasons the river sucks. Most of it is not 200' wide and you have private docks every 50'. I say fock-em. If they can afford a house on the river then they should get a lift for their boat.

Thanks for the info. Most of the time that I have gone there , I'm trying to stay as far away as possible , but on the other hand I don,t want to get to close to the river bank as there is alot of debri , ruin my boat vs make a wake. You are right when you say if you can afford to dock a boat there you should be able to do somthing to protect it. and some parts are very narrow ,so i don't know if I'm 200 ft away

acatitude
    It's 5MPH within 200' of any swimming beach, dock, swimming platform or landing where boats are tied up. It's 100' from any person in the water excluding water skier.
    Here is a link to the ABC's of California Boating.
    http://www.dbw.ca.gov/Pubs/Abc/
    IMO this is one of the reasons the river sucks. Most of it is not 200' wide and you have private docks every 50'. I say fock-em. If they can afford a house on the river then they should get a lift for their boat.
    If you think it sucks then stay at folsom which I believe right now is all a 5 mph zone... you said what????

acatitude
    Thanks for the info. Most of the time that I have gone there , I'm trying to stay as far away as possible , but on the other hand I don,t want to get to close to the river bank as there is alot of debri , ruin my boat vs make a wake. You are right when you say if you can afford to dock a boat there you should be able to do somthing to protect it. and some parts are very narrow ,so i don't know if I'm 200 ft away
    Rshrp. It just takes some time to figure out which is which. From discovery going up river, the 1st marina and the Sturgeon is 5 MPH, the next marina you can get 200 ft from. From there most are ok and also the individual docks along the river you can get 200 ft from.
    Going the other way if there are mo boats launching or docked at that 1st launch on the west side it is ok and your good I think till you get to the Yacht club. SOmetimes you have to slow down at Millers just because of all the traffic but you can get 200 ft away from there also.

grads2112
    If you think it sucks then stay at folsom which I believe right now is all a 5 mph zone... you said what????
    Even as low as Folsom is it is still wider and deeper than the river. And the 5 m.p.h. speed limit is not enforced.

Rshrp. It just takes some time to figure out which is which. From discovery going up river, the 1st marina and the Sturgeon is 5 MPH, the next marina you can get 200 ft from. From there most are ok and also the individual docks along the river you can get 200 ft from.
    Going the other way if there are mo boats launching or docked at that 1st launch on the west side it is ok and your good I think till you get to the Yacht club. SOmetimes you have to slow down at Millers just because of all the traffic but you can get 200 ft away from there also.
    Again .thanks , I was always cautious and uncertian on the ediquette. Ive been out there when there was no obvious wake zones and got waved down by a boater who was just parked on the side and I didn't know that I was breaking any rules .It seemed very strange to me as when you are on a lake and you go by someone who is parked its no big deal

grads2112
    I think its a Howard. This is the NO WAKE zone enforcement boat
    http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/7...ct08003iz8.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

acatitude
    Even as low as Folsom is it is still wider and deeper than the river. And the 5 m.p.h. speed limit is not enforced.
    ANd all the restaraunts on Folsom lake are really nice to boat up to also.. errrr .. oops wrong place, I guess that was the River.
    The delta looked pretty wide and deep on hooky day there no show. Oh the delta is a body of water a little south of sacramento. Lots of nice eateries there also.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast