Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Synthetic oil

manuel
    Anyone have an opinion on synthetic oil in jets?
    worth the cost ? waste of time ? since most of us run cooler engine temps than cars, I was just wondering because I've searched some archives and seen no mention of it, Manuel

victorfb
    we may run cooler temps, but we also keep them at a much higher RPM and for a much longer duration.
    id say the synthetics are a good way to go if you can afford it. i personaly run the blended in my 455 olds. on the 502 i will be running full synthetic. the newer motors have a tighter tolerance it seems and the full synthetics are allready thinner at start up.
    just my $.02

GlastronGuy
    I just switched to syn two weekends ago and noticed that my oil pressure didn't drop nearly as much as with regular oil. I am sold on the benefits.

comin' unscrewed
    victorfb:
    we may run cooler temps, but we also keep them at a much higher RPM and for a much longer duration.
    id say the synthetics are a good way to go if you can afford it. i personaly run the blended in my 455 olds. on the 502 i will be running full synthetic. the newer motors have a tighter tolerance it seems and the full synthetics are allready thinner at start up.
    just my $.02 They're also under load at all times. I too vote yes on sythetic oil.

mickeyfinn
    Been running Royal Purple for years in an Industrial application. Wouldn't run anything else there or in my vehicle now. In the Industrial application we are running it in gearboxes so it is not exactly the same application. We have gearboxes running off of electric motors that range from 75 to 600 hp. When we did initial testing the royal purple dropped 8 amps off of the current draw of the motor and dropped the gearbox temp by almost 10 degrees. We went from having a major gearbox failure about every 7 months to where now we have not lost a gearbox in almost 5 years. In the industrial application we switched to a analysis only preventative maintance. We do an analysis every 3 months and top it off. If the analysis comes back good we keep running it. No oil changes so far. We just top it off as we pull volume out for samples. Been running it in my vehicles for several years now with great results. My Cutlass with a 3.1 liter engine picked up 2mpg and felt a little peppier (is that a word?) When the car blew a head gasket the oil absolutely will not emulsify with the water. The engine would run hot after a while but did not see any "milkshake". Drove it this way for about 3 or 4 weeks until figured out it was the head gasket. In the vehicle we go 10,000 miles and change the filter and add a quart.

LVjetboy
    10+ years on LS6 454 w/many shots of NOS. Mobil 1 synthetic. Consider the more demanding oil temperature, rpm and moisture environment of a typical boat engine. No significant wear in my engine on tear-down. You think jet oil temps cooler than cars just because water temp is? Think again.
    Vettes recommend synthetic, Neons don't. You need more proof? I suppose it could be a vast GM versus Dodge conspiracy linked to oil manufacturers...nothing to do with performance. Unlikely. Or maybe a function of engine performance, loading and power? Not to say dino oil won't work. Regular oil change just as important. But if you want the very best oil??? Go synthetic.
    jer
    [ August 05, 2003, 10:24 PM: Message edited by: LVjetboy ]

sidewound
    Hey mickeyfinn,
    I am the PM guy at our plant and was sold on the advantages of ROYAL PURPLE as you were. We had failures in blowers that use air to transport product. We didn't notice much difference in the failure rate and after a failure our analysis showed the oil not to be a synthetic at all. I've gone to mobile 629 synthetic and have about the same longevity. Am I to understand that you are running a gear oil in your crankcase? That's new.
    Just curious as I've never heard of this before.
    Peace Man
    CESAR

mickeyfinn
    Not running gear oil in crankcase. Royal purple makes plenty of automotive grade oils as well. I made the decision to use the royal purple in my personal vehicles based on my experience with the 90 weight products. The last time I checked the Royal Purple was the ONLY true synthetic in the 90 weight arena. All of the others had some amount of mineral oil used in a blend formula. We do quarterly analysis on these gearboxes. With the Royal Purple we have NEVER seen the oil break down and with the mineral oils the analysis picked up high copper and chrome after 60 days. Like I said we don't ever change the oil in these gearboxes now. We do analysis and then top off the oil removed by sampling. We now have gone years without a failure. These are all faulk gearboxes.

UBFJ #454
    We use:
    Gears - 70/90 Royal Purple, changed every 20k.
    Vehicle Motors - Mobil 1(After Over 30-35K mi.), Castrol 5/20 before, both changed every 3 to 3.5k.
    Drag Boat Motor - R-11 (5/20) Royal Purple, changed every 4 to 6, maybe 8, 1/4 mi. runs.

LakesOnly
    Amsoil, Mobil 1 or Royal Purple.
    ----->Ester-based synthetic stocks only; they're the shit.<-----
    LO

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast