Thread: boat painting

dgie
    Anyone know anything about it here?

it is very labour intensive to get the job done right, not to mention messy unless you have a dedicated area for the job.
    What else would you like to know?

Beer-30
    Assuming you are talking about using automotive paint on a boat and not using the term "paint" for "gel";
    Painting fiberglass is fine - as long as there is good prep underneath and a good flex-agent is used in the mixing. Wood/fiberglass expands/contracts and moves around all the time. Auto paint is not normally flexible enough and ends up cracking at some point. 5 or so years of use and it will be hard enough that it will start to crack and flake off.
    Gel coat is flexible and tends to be 99% crack-free for decades, as long as it is taken care of.
    So, PAINT is short-term beauty / GEL is long-term beauty.

dgie
    mostly about induction time, I am using vc performance paint an interlux bottom paint and I forgot to let it set the 30 minutes before shooting the first coat, just curious as to what I can expect or if anyone has ever done this before also. Most I talked to today including Interlux said that I should be fine. It was dry when I checked it today, so I added the second coat as not to miss the window. I guess the real test will be if I see paint peel off when I am cruising across the lake.

show us pics ......

justfloatn
    mostly about induction time, I am using vc performance paint an interlux bottom paint and I forgot to let it set the 30 minutes before shooting the first coat, just curious as to what I can expect or if anyone has ever done this before also. Most I talked to today including Interlux said that I should be fine. It was dry when I checked it today, so I added the second coat as not to miss the window. I guess the real test will be if I see paint peel off when I am cruising across the lake.
    How long did you wait?
    What was the temperature?

dgie
    about 5 minutes or so, it was around 70 degrees out that day

justfloatn
    about 5 minutes or so, it was around 70 degrees out that day
    5 min. WOW. You were in a hurry If the manufacturer says your ok I wouldn't loose any sleep. It would start peeling within a week or two. I had a small spot, dime size, on my old boat that reacted to spot putty and started bubbling up in about a week Hope yours is ok.