Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tahiti boats

jimthetoolman
    Has anybody ever had or seen a 18 foot bubble deck tahiti go faster than 65 mph. With out crazy money in the motor.. I can't seem to get past 62 with the gps. I have a 427 2 750's double pumpers with a tunnel ram and the good rectangular heads,comp cam 292. Is this thing a brick or what?

victorfb
    i get nearly that speed with a 18' tahiti bubble deck. (actually a "runabout") and it still has the harmon marine 390 HP 455 olds, single 750 vac holley on a torker. no high dollar stuff here.
    what pump are you running? mine is a berk JC. i would look more into the pump for added speed. no matter how much HP you put into a non efficient pump, you wont gain any speed. it will only work as good as it is. a properly set up pump can give you an amazing gain.
    as for the hull, what i have heard is that most Tahitis were more of the river/lake boat. a bit heavier glass but stronger. they made a bunch of em.

Jake W
    My Tahiti is a 77 bubbledeck.I have never GPS mine but will soon but think I am runn9ing 70 or so.Nothing fancie about the engine but I have a lot of pump mods.you guys have pics of your boats ?Do they look like this? [img]http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/521/82sidetah.jpg[/img]
    [ July 18, 2003, 06:38 AM: Message edited by: Jake W ]

Moneypitt
    How does "bubble deck" differ from the earlier Tahiti model. I've got a 69 that looks quite simular to the one shown, at least the profile. As for speed, with a 12j ab pump and a well built 402 BBC, mine was gpsed at 63 mph. Wide flat open for a mile or so, 63 mph. In an acceleration run, 63 mph when it stopped pulling. I think it would be fair to say the boat will go 63, no faster. So your speed of 65 or so is real close, and the suggestion to work the jet for more speed was probably right. A boat this heavy (mine) seems to be a good driver, takes the chop pretty well, turns on a dime, has plenty of room for the gear, and has enough speed to be fun. Trying to get more speed may be a tall order, considering these boats size and weight, and really, isn't 65 fast enough on the water? (just kidding, I know its never fast enough!!!!!)...Moneypitt

squirt
    Along with checking your pump, get under that thing and check the bottom for hook. I have seen a number of Tahiti's that have this problem and this will really knock the snot out of your speed. What rpm are you turnning and what impeller do you have. I've seen a number of 75+ mph Tahiti's but like anyother boat it has to be set up right.
    Don

BrendellaJet
    Toolman, what RPM are you turning? What pump do you have? Impeller size? overall pump condition? Have any other cam specs? if you want my 2 cents, Im guessing your motor doesn't make enough power to turn the impeeler up to the motors peak power. Need to know the condition of the pump.

Jake W
    the older 69 models usualy have the deep entry v and very wide I have seen some from Dick that do not though if you look at the front of mine it is not like that.I am pretty sure mine has a Rogers bottom and bubbledeck from the 18 ft Eliminator.Thers bubble decks are really a basterd chiled of several boats.Post a pic of yours.
    Jake

jimthetoolman
    Thanks for all your responces. To answer your questions. I have a Panther jet that is in good shape. The damn thing throws out one hell of a rooster tail . and the cam is a Comp Cams 292ah with 110 lope seperation and .510 lift. Also how do you post a pic on this board?

jimthetoolman
    You also asked about rpm. Its around 5800.

squirt
    Hey Jim, That rpm is a little high I think. One of the (local to you) guys is spinning his Tahiti with a panther around 5,200 and is seeing 68mph. I think Panthers tend to spin a little higher than the same setup with a berk style pump maybe like having a B impeller. Another guy you migh want to talk with is Cas ( he is also kinda local to you) He should be able to give you some advise on your setup. Your boat is not a brick althougt it is pretty solid. Look at the bottom for strightness but to me it sounds like your pump needs some attention
    Good luck, Don

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast