Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tahiti boats

Cas
    Jim,
    Sounds to me like you at least one of three things going on. The clearance between the impeller and the housing is too big, the clearance between the impeller and stator housing is too big or the stator rings are worn or non existant. That's all assuming there's nothing lodged in the impeller or stator blades.
    First thing to do is to crawl under the boat , look up into the intake to make sure it's all clean in there.
    Next thing is to remove the stator housing and all the linkage from the main housing, 4 bolts on hold it to the main housing. Take a close look at the main housing where the impeller meets the housing to see if there is gouging in the housing. If there is, you need to pull the impeller so all the gouges can be fixed.
    Now focus on the stator housing.
    [img]http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/210stathous-med.jpg[/img]
    The stator rings will be on the area that fit into the impeller. There should be 2 of them and they should be about 1/8 in height.
    [img]http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/210statrings1-med.jpg[/img]
    You can see the stator rings in the above pick.
    The third thing which should actually be number 2 is to check the clearance between the impeller and the stator housing. The is checked by placing a straight edge across the main housing and measuring the clearance between the straight edge and the impeller.
    If you want some help, I'll be more than happy to give you a hand. The tough part is when?

Cas
    btw, as far as Tahiti hulls go, more than likely you have about 1/4" hook on the bottom. That will need to be removed in order for the boat to reach it's potential.

jimthetoolman
    I have used dev-con puddy to remove the grooves. But I still have a somewhat deep groove at the front of the impeller. I still have wear rings on the stator housing.. And Yes I would like that if you could check it out how about tommorrow? I will be waiting out in front of my house around 11:00 am. Just kidding. Thanks for all of your help so far.

Cas
    Jim,
    You just might luck out, I'll be in Walnut Grove this morning. I got your number off the LBBA message boards so I'll give you a call on my way over there. I sure hope you'll be awake when I call
    it'll be about 9am or so.
    I'm giving squirt a hand taking down a portable carport thingie. If you can make it down around 11:30 or so, I'll be more than happy to check it out for you.

jimthetoolman
    yea I will be up. Be glad to hear from you. Thanks

Moomawnster
    Cas , why do you assume the boat has hook , and why is that bad .... where do you measure for it ? and how does it get there ? my boat only rides on the last 3ft or so of the hull ..... Moo

1Bahnerjet
    Well you know back in the '70s Tahiti's goal was to Build as many Boats as fast as they could. Later on they started to look at the Quality of there Boats, Maybe to Late?
    [img]http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/43e-med.jpg[/img]
    --------------
    Thats BANNER with an H

Taylor LP
    jimthetoolman:
    You also asked about rpm. Its around 5800. Might want to check that tach, too!

Cas
    Moomawnster:
    Cas , why do you assume the boat has hook , and why is that bad .... where do you measure for it ? and how does it get there ? my boat only rides on the last 3ft or so of the hull ..... Moo Moo,
    I've had 4 Tahiti's and they all had about the exact same amount of hook. I think it's built into the hulls. Hook can also happen over a period of time with the boat sitting on a trailer that the bunks are too short.
    To check for it, take about a 4 ft straight edge and place it on the bottom of the boat from the transom forward. I usually check it at 3 different spots on each side. If there's a gap between the straight edge and the bottom of the boat, it has hook.
    Hook in the bottom of the boat can and will force the bow down, especially at higher speeds. Doing so gives the boat more wetted surface which will prevent the boat from reaching it's potential.

1Bahnerjet:
    Well you know back in the '70s Tahiti's goal was to Build as many Boats as fast as they could. Later on they started to look at the Quality of there Boats, Maybe to Late?
    [img]http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/43e-med.jpg[/img]
    --------------
    Thats BANNER with an H The quality was there in the 60s when they were introduced. A early Tahiti is built as well or better than most boats from the same time. Dick Schuster was first a laminator before he struck out on his own, building boats for the legendary PowerCat boats from the late 50s and early 60s. I've owned handful of 60's Tahiti's that were old when I got them and none of them had any hook. All the bottoms at the keel were an inch thick. Hook was never built into any Tahiti, that came from pulling the parts from the molds too fast. That and installng the intake quickly and the boat not fitted to the bunks on the trailer properly all added to te hook in the bottom.
    You'll get no argument from me about them building lots and lots of boats, but most of the bigger shops did in the 70s, it was a golden time, everyone had cash and gas was cheap. By the late 60s Bell owned Tahiti and they, like Eliminator and countless others were pumping out boats at a mind boggeling rate.
    Bahner was also famous for staring out with a good product, built a loyal following by racing (with a Rogers bottom) but towards the end of his run, his stuff really slipped in quality. And I don't mean a little bit. We repaired more of his boats that I can't even count over at Advantage in the late 80's. He was good friends with the owner there and they had a deal worked out for fixing his stuff. Mainly because Bahner was in hiding.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast