Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PLACE CRAFT OWNERS

PLACECRAFT20
    HAS ANYBODY SEEN ONE OF THESE HULLS. I AM HAVING SOME SETUP PROBLEMS, AND WOULD LIKE TO TALK TO ANOTHER OWNER. I HAVE SEEN A BUNCH OF PLACECRAFT TUNNELS BUT NOT DAYCRUISERS. THIS IS A 1989 20 FOOTER. ANY INFO WOULD BE HELPFULL. THANKS MITCH [img]http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Reader_Rides/Jet_Boats/PC7jpg.JPG[/img] [img]http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Reader_Rides/Jet_Boats/PC6jpg.JPG[/img] [img]http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Reader_Rides/Jet_Boats/PC4jpg.JPG[/img] [img]http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Reader_Rides/Jet_Boats/PC2jpg.JPG[/img]

DUCKY
    That is a beautiful boat!
    I had a 19' tunnel, so not much help.
    What kind of problems are you having?
    The normal rules should still apply....

PLACECRAFT20
    DUCKY,
    THANKS FOR THE COMPLIMENTS!
    I HAVE A BAD PORPOISE PROBLEM OVER 50MPH. I HAVE ADJUSTED THE RIDE PLATE BUT I HAS NOT ELIMINATED THE PROBLEM. I HAVE ALSO READ THE THREADS ON PORPOISING BUT EVERY ONE HAS A DIFFERENT OPINION. I WAS TOLD THAT I NEEDED TRIM TABS. I WAS HOPING ANOTHER OWNER MITE SHED SOME LIGHT. I ALSO WANDERED IF THE SHOE OR LOADER GRATE COULD CAUSE THIS PROBLEM? THANKS MITCH

PC20
    my friend has one of those but it's set up as an outboard. His porpoised so bad his wife wouldn't ride in it. He called PC, and there fix to the solutation was to install belly tanks in the later boats.
    He changed tanks as well as adding a delta and the problems gone.

Hermosa
    old rigger:
    PC20
    my friend has one of those but it's set up as an outboard. His porpoised so bad his wife wouldn't ride in it. He called PC, and there fix to the solutation was to install belly tanks in the later boats.
    He changed tanks as well as adding a delta and the problems gone.Sounds like someone I know in Downey, is his Placecraft Yellow? As far as I know, he built a delta pad on the bottom of the boat last winter, I think it's running out better now. He also has trim tabs.

Hermosa,
    same guy. Known him his whole life. His uncle Bob and my dad were friends from 3rd grade on.
    He did the delta and the belly tank at the same time so it's hard to know which one fixed the problem.

Bense468
    Call Tom Peterson at Rex Marine. He used to run placecraft for a while. Not sure if this is one of his hulls, but I know he knows his shit when it comes to them. He has built a few 135+ mph placecrafts as RIVER boats. So he knows how to make them ride. I think placecrafts are like that though. They really jump up and down till stab the throttle and get them to set. Its worth a shot.

Hermosa
    old rigger:
    Hermosa,
    same guy. Known him his whole life. His uncle Bob and my dad were friends from 3rd grade on.
    He did the delta and the belly tank at the same time so it's hard to know which one fixed the problem.Small world isn't it. I've done a few river trips with him a few years back before moving to Northern California. I had the Eliminator Daytona, stayed at his place at the river too many times to count. I think he is going up this weekend also with the family. I fly down from time to time just to go to the river with him and a few others that are always up there.

PLACECRAFT20
    OK GUYS FILL ME IN, WHAT IS A DELTA? I SURE HATE TO INSTALL A BELLY TANK. I HAVE ADDED A 100HP SHOT OF NOS TO SEE IF I NEEDED MORE HP BUT, IT JUST JUMPS TO THE POINT OF CHINE WALK. THANKS MITCH

Mitch,
    a delta is a flat running surface on the bottom of a V hull. Usually about 8" wide or so at the rear and anywhere from 4 feet to 6 or 7 long, tapering to a point. Some boats come with a delta already in the mold, not removeable. At Advantage we had a 19 footer with one and it ran real well. Of course this meant it had to be rigged with a flat intake and not a rounded one. At Rogers we had one that we inserted into the mold when we were usning the 19 mold (different boat that the one at Advantage) to build an outboard. They worked very well, giving the boat a nice little pad to ride on.
    When our friend asked for help from Place Craft about the problem with his outboard and was told to install a belly tank, that's about all they gave him. In other words they didn't want to be bothered with it. A belly tank is a band aid fix at best, in my lowly opinion. What happens when you are low on fuel, and all the weight's going away? It's gonna go back to its old habits, porpoising. Although both the delta and the tank was done at the same time on his boat, I think the delta was the key.
    While he had to rip the floor out of the boat to measure for the belly tank, he went ahead and built up the inside of the bottom with another 1/2 or so of glass starting at the transom and going forward 5 or 6 feet. then when he got the boat all back together, he ground the delta into the bottom. Not really an option with your boat, the delta I mean, not the tank.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast