Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where to buy Marine Grade Wood?

NeoBurn
    Does anyone know what constitutes marine grade wood?
    Anyone know of a supplier in So Cal.?

hack job
    check with sommerville plywood there in hawthorne . i bought some ply wood there that was marine grade. its pretty pricey eek!

BigBoyToys
    Just about any lumber yard can order it for you. Marine grade plywood is BBOES type (Like CDX,CCX,ACX,etc.. But BBOES) It is specially treated with some type of oil or something.

Cantrip
    ask froggystyle, he is in SD and knows all about that stuff.

Johnwithjm
    NeoBurn:
    Anyone know of a supplier in So Cal.? Try Frost hardwood they are in Kerney Mesa they have all types of Marine plywood and other woods. Sorry I don`t have there number

Sangster
    Marine grade Plywood is an A-Faced with A/B fillers (no knots) and bonded with a marine glue..

HOOTER SLED-
    NeoBurn:
    Anyone know of a supplier in So Cal.? Neo,
    I would think any decent lumber yard could get it. From what I was told(by the dude who did my interior), not only are the glues used to bond the plywood different(marine grade), but the plywood is treated with Cyanide or some harsh chemical. I may be wrong about the Cyanide, I can't remember. But anyhow, the wood is usually greenish in color, kinda like the treated lumber used for bottom plates on a foundation of a home. Use gloves when working with it, supposed to be harsh on the skin. I'm sure a respirator wouldn't hurt with the dust flyin' around. My 2 cents. Have fun.

NeoBurn
    Thanks for all the info. And for the boards I want to thank everyone that has replied to my posts. I have had quite a number of questions and have obtained a wealth of information.
    "I'm like a sponge when it comes to boating."
    [ February 12, 2003, 03:15 PM: Message edited by: NeoBurn ]

beached 1
    Reel Lumber in Riverside, CA.

Mandelon
    Neo,
    I would think any decent lumber yard could get it. From what I was told(by the dude who did my interior), not only are the glues used to bond the plywood different(marine grade), but the plywood is treated with Cyanide or some harsh chemical. I may be wrong about the Cyanide, I can't remember. But anyhow, the wood is usually greenish in color, kinda like the treated lumber used for bottom plates on a foundation of a home. Use gloves when working with it, supposed to be harsh on the skin. I'm sure a respirator wouldn't hurt with the dust flyin' around. My 2 cents. Have fun.
    A little more info here.....
    The greenish tint is from as I recall a copper-arsenic based pressure treatment. The industry has discontinued use of this chemical voluntarily due to concern it could cause harm to children or fruits and veggies by leaching into adjacent soil, if the treated lumber was used for a planter bed. EPA says this isn't really the case, but the lumber industry has switched to a supposedly more enviromentally sensitive borate derivitive chemical. The treated wood will now be a turquoise blue color. Only heavy timbers will be available in the arsenic treated variety.
    Marine grade simply has moisture resistant glues and adhesives and more plies for extra strength. Its not supposed to actually be in contact with the water untreated, as it will still absorb water. It should be varnished or glassed.
    Frost Hardwood stocks a zillion hard to find wood products and the sales guys are very helpful.
    Frost Hardwood Lumber Co 6565 Miramar Rd San Diego, CA (858) 455-9060
    Good Luck!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast