Thread: 454 cam selection

Sinbad
    Looking for a cam for a 18 ft jet with a 454 850dp The pump has a B impeller. It might see a 150hp nos system. Any sugestions would help Thanks

Jordy
    Your best bet would be to talk to your local speed shop, or George over at Clay Smith Cams. They have charts based upon rpm, impeller cut, compression and all the other variables depending on how mild or wild you want to go. You might also try doing a search in the Just Jets forum based upon "cam" and see where it gets you. Good luck
    Jordy

DEL51
    Do you want to set the valves or not.Hydraulic cams are less maintenance. What is the compression on the 454? Do you have roller rocker arms? Does it have square port cylinder heads? What type of exhaust system? Answer these questions to give us a better Idea of what will work best.

AZKC
    Comp Cams sells a camshaft called extreme marine they say its set up for jets. They have a mild and wild version ck out Jegs.com and search by the word marine and youll be able to ck out the specs...
    KC

Hotcrusader76
    Here are some options you can view online without having to talk to anyone yet. Lunati offers a respectable camshaft for the price and I know of many people who have had luck with them.
    www.lunaticams.com
    ~Ty

Sinbad
    The motor is 9to1 oval heads and headers im staying with hydralic and no roller lifters. Want to step it up but still need a decient idle. thanks all

Jetty 468
    I run a Lunati cam # 30207 in a BBC 468 10-1 5200 rpm with a B also .This thing hit's at all rpm now ,has GREAT response . Work's relly well for my set up !!

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    Boy you sure are going to have a few selections with this one!! I went through this and I am still deciding upon 3 different cams. Go to compcams.com and look up bbc cams. At the end of the bbc cams they will have Xtreme Marine cams that will fit your needs perfect. Do your self a favor and dont go over 230 deggrees of duration @ .50 because your boat will never turn the rpm's to make the power. It will be over camming your motor and you will not be happy. also you can get water in your heads with too much cam. If you keep it under 230 @ .50 duration you will be fine and they offer some great cams. One more thing try to match the cam,lifters,pushrods, and valve springs so you can get full potential out of your cam and motor without any problems. Good luck with you project.
    396-- out!
    Oh and by the way I saved you some time! Here is the web page. Just copy and paste in your browser.
    http://compcams.com/catalog/106_107.html