Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suction

1Bahnerjet
    My '80 Bahner leaks water into the boat somewhere around the jet drives intake housing, not alot nothing the bilge pump can't handle but the faster i go the more water to pump out and its starting to Bug me.I have already used two tubes of silicone sealant both in and under the boat but it still leaks. So my question is, How much trouble is it to re-install the intake to boat? Thanks for any HELP.

Blown 472
    Maybe a leak from your raw water line?

MikeF
    1B, I would pull the jet from the boat and check the mounting surfaces of the intake and the suction housing. If they are not true, this is probably where your leak is coming from. It might be fairly easy to suface the suction housing, but if its the intake (can't imagine that it would be) then you'll have to remove the intake from the boat and surface it.
    Put on a new intake gasket w/ some (not alot) silicone smoothed along the surfaces.
    Have you tried tightening the bolts on the intake (try not to pull the threads)? eek!

GlastronGuy
    Is the packing loose/gone?

Hydro-Thunder
    I'm with Glastronguy Check the packing thats what it sounds like to me. It might look like it is comming from the intake when it runs down the pump. What kind of pump do you have?
    Jesse

Hal
    I had a leak like that,I found that it was a broken bowl gasket. Be sure to check that before you rip your intake out.

jacuzer
    How about crawling underneath the boat to see what it looks like? There should be no cracks between the boat and intake. If there is, then plan on re-setting the intake. If there are no cracks then look elswhere.
    A possibility is to jack up the front of your trailer and put some water in the bilge and see if/where it drips out. This works ok on transom adapter leaks.
    Kevin

caution 2
    If water comes in it has to go out, fill the bilge with water and get underneath and see where it comes out, if it doesn't i would check your bowl to suction gasket, that is the most likely, then you water inlet line, then your freeze plugs might be leaking, Jim Brock

hack job
    caution 2:
    If water comes in it has to go out, fill the bilge with water and get underneath and see where it comes out, if it doesn't i would check your bowl to suction gasket, that is the most likely, then you water inlet line, then your freeze plugs might be leaking, Jim Brock this is good advice! damn jim! wink i would do this first off!
    lets try to keep it simple!

beached1
    I agree with Jim. I couldn't find a leak in my old boat till I put a few gallons in the bilge with a garden hose.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast