Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 8o psi oil pressure in stock 460?

hoolign
    well yesterday I finally,got to throw the boat in the water,even though summer is half over,got a bit of an exhaust manifold leak,no biggy,warmed up the motor everything seemed fine,went for a hour then noticed the oil pressure went up to around 80 psi,started backfiring out the carb at wot,to top it off the left bank,started tappin like it was'nt getting oil, ideled it back to the trailer,aside from the obvious,rip it out.and throw the visa at it,what should I check?the 80 psi is off an electric gauge,so i still gotta put a hydraulic gauge in!

Hallett19
    Well, I had the same problem with mine, except the opposite of oil pressure, it would run 60psi no problem when I first started it up, then after a while it would loose pressure and start tapping on the top of the motor. Ended up the cam bearings were bad, so that could be a possibility, everything else was fine but the cam bearings. When the problem got real bad, it was loosing power (valves not opening from lack of lifters not pumping up,I assume) idling like shit and making some ****ED up noises. Sounds like you need to do a tear down.

david laxton
    You just need rip her out and do a cam brg
    look see. If your motor has seen lots of use
    or sat for long periods of time. You can get delamination and block off oil flow. This would be a good time to do a cam up grade.

hoolign
    hallet
    this thing idels fine,sounds fine until you crack it, gotta go buy a new distributer and wires,and maybe a new set of lifters,if the atf does'nt clean them up,spectras only e-mailed me some good advice,if that does'nt fix it it's gonna get torn down allright,with a sledge hammer,then my 468 goes in http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif
    hows your boat running? got it all staight?
    never fails with me plan a trip,**** with the boat till the night I leave,I need your job,hard to make time for shit workin on rigs
    [This message has been edited by hoolign (edited July 02, 2002).]

hoolign
    Originally posted by david laxton:
    You just need rip her out and do a cam brg
    look see. If your motor has seen lots of use
    or sat for long periods of time. You can get delamination and block off oil flow. This would be a good time to do a cam up grade.
    motors only got about 50 hours on it,

Hallett19
    No, the motor is not back in yet, but the interior is getting a total makeover minus the seats, as well as a full gelcoat buff and polish http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif The motor should be done in about 2 weeks, new bearings and all. Now that I have the oil pan I need and everything else is dialed in, it should run fine for some time to come.

78Eliminator
    Originally posted by Hallett19:
    it should run fine for some time to come.
    I keep thinking the same thing, but it never happens....

hoolign
    new cap,rotor and wires,2 litres of atf...and shes back to normal,on the trailer anyways,thanx again spectras,no more ticking,no more backfiring,oil pressure is at 65 psi,gotta go and put my sledgehammer away!
    just curious what do you ford guys run your timing at on the stockers?

Boater Bill
    Ah, the old ATF trick. Didn't think anyone remembered that one anymore.

spectras only
    Boater bill, I had lifter problem with my Challenger back in 72,the a....les at the dealership wouldn't fix it saying that's typical with Chrysler engines.We all did the atf trick back then,and it worked http://free.***boat.net/ubb/wink.gif

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast