Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stroker motors

Ranz1
    I noticed some guys like them, some hate them. I just want to know why ? What are the advantages and disadvantages. Also if you like them check these 460 kits and tell me what you think...533 kit 557 kit 514 kit

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
    Stroking an egine is the easiest way to obtain hp/tq. you can never replace cubic inches for making hp. Avoid SCAT products. they are chinese made piece of crap and break almost all the time. just my opinion of course. A BBF is an excellent choice for a stroker engine. You might consider some better heads if yours are stock. D3VE-A2A. Overall I say go for it. Like I said no replacement for cubic inches.
    Omega

flat broke
    Omega,
    Not that I'm biased on this topic, but if you're going to call out Scat as chinese made crap, you better add Eagle and CAT to that some list. As far as I know (and that aint much) they all come from overseas and there is a good likelyhood that they are the same forgings to begin with.
    After hearing about some peoples problems with Scat products, and some personal dealings with them, I think the bottom line is CHECK YOUR DIMENSIONS AND CLERANCES AFTER PURCHASE. I received mediocre initial customer service from Scat when I made my initial crank order. After fumbled delivery attempts on their behalf, they stepped up and gave me a free upgrade on my crank. The only problem that I later came to find is that their free upgrade would have caused some serious problems in my motor without the scrutinizing attention to detail from George Streigel at Clay Smith. The crank hadn't been profiled properly for my block and basically ended up costing me as much in labor as the upgrade would have, or a out of the box Lunati Crank by the time all was said and done. The only comfort I found in this is the fact that if George thought that crank was a pile of crap, there is no way he would have let me hang rods on it.
    Just sharing my observations and experiences,
    Chris

Jet City
    The 460 is a particularly good candidate for stroker kits because part of the original design parameters were that it could offered in a 500+ cube version for the Lincoln to compete with Cadillac's 500 big block (which of coarse never happened due to the gas crises). There is a lots of different combinations available for stroking the 385 series Ford, I would recommend checking out this site...
    http://www.network54.com/Hide/Forum/85220
    The collective amount of BBF experience on this site is mind bending, and there is a ton of threads on strokers.

1slowboat
    I have a stoker bbf in my boat and love it, there is no replacement for displacement when you want good hp on a pump gas motor,... i got the stroker setup with a hardend steel crank, eagle esp h-beam rods, arp studs, srp dished pistons, to lower comp. ratio,..and i have the d3ve-a2a heads ported and pollished with manley race master valves,..2.190 intake and 1.880 exaust, hardend seats and bronze valve guides, comp cams, cam, bracket race for jet boat with an a/or b impeler... this is one set up i came up with my self and built myself and seems to do real well, also have a tunnel ram intake w/ 2 600 cfm holley carbs/ going to change the carbs to 660 center sq. the motor needs a little more carb.... i also had the block (o ringed) and using copper head gaskets, so far no problems with the motor( exept my dist. problem) and i am going to go with all msd ign.
    the cam specs are.585 intake lift/.588 exhaust
    duration at .50 is 254 int. and 264 ex.
    lobe separation is 112

Danhercules
    I am sooo new to the v8s, so dont roast me.
    As I understand it, a BBF460 is basically a stroked 429. Am I right? Well, if thats true, can you over stroke a motor?
    Also, do you loose RPM's when a motor is stroked?

hack job
    1slowboat:
    I have a stoker bbf in my boat and love it, there is no replacement for displacement when you want good hp on a pump gas motor,... i got the stroker setup with a hardend steel crank, eagle esp h-beam rods, arp studs, srp dished pistons, to lower comp. ratio,..and i have the d3ve-a2a heads ported and pollished with manley race master valves,..2.190 intake and 1.880 exaust, hardend seats and bronze valve guides, comp cams, cam, bracket race for jet boat with an a/or b impeler... this is one set up i came up with my self and built myself and seems to do real well, also have a tunnel ram intake w/ 2 600 cfm holley carbs/ going to change the carbs to 660 center sq. the motor needs a little more carb.... i also had the block (o ringed) and using copper head gaskets, so far no problems with the motor( exept my dist. problem) and i am going to go with all msd ign.
    the cam specs are.585 intake lift/.588 exhaust
    duration at .50 is 254 int. and 264 ex.
    lobe separation is 112 funny how that works seeing as how i ahve a 501 ford aswell and i have a ford cransk that has been offset gorund to excpet chevy 4.25 rods ( iam running eagle h beams) at any rate it was more cost effective to go with my stock crank and have t ground ( also done by clay smith cams). any how good to see there are other people out there with a simular setup!

so all of scats cranks are made overseas? are you 100% sure about that? I hear they make a good crank.

flat broke
    A believe all but the billet models are FORGED or CAST overseas. They do the machine work right there in Redondo Beach CA. They have a wide variety of products for each make at varrying quality/prices to suit your needs.
    I got upgraded to a 4340 unit for free when I got delayed by a couple of weeks, so I can't say anything but praise for their customer service, but ultimately the longevity of their products will be the metric I judge them by.
    Chris
    Edit: I got to thinking and wanted to point something out about ANY manufacturer of ANY type of product. Most everyone has their budget line of crap that they sell. I would be willing to bet that a lot of the bad feedback that Scat and many other companies have recieved is related to backyard mechanics buying cast crank stroker kits off of EBAY, then puting a 150 shot on them in an ill state of tune only to SUPRISE, break when the damn thing detonates. The only reason I bring this up is because I've run into more than one person that can't understand why their swapmeet internals couldn't hold up to constant abuse. The 9000 series products or "ESP" products from Eagle are cast peices that weren't designed or intended for severe use. The performance keeps getting raised, be it cars or boats, and you can't expect a $250 crank to do the job of a $900 unit.
    [ September 08, 2003, 05:02 PM: Message edited by: flat broke ]

Good point Chris. From what i have heard the 4340 forged cranks are real good from scat, we will be putting a 4.250 stroke 4340 standard weight scat crank in my new BBC motor.
    After looking around a bit on their web site i found that the 4340 chevy crankshafts are manufactured in the U.S.A. by scat craftsmen.Some of the other crankshafts are not manufactured in the U.S. like chris mentioned, If you look on their website it says which cranks are and are not built here.You can download their catalog online to see all their products. later...cs19

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast