Thread: Stringer question

dgie
    I have full length stringers in my 76 Bojo I had to drill out some holes this weekend to move the engine forward to acomidate the rear bolt holes in the bellhousing mount. When I drilled the holes The wood that came out was black, I assume it is pretty rotted and I am looking at stringer replacement I am not sure if I need to replace the whole stringer or just the part that is bad and splice in a new section. If a full stringer replacement is needed what is the process that I need to do? seperate the top from the hull etc. I was told in the past that when you seperate the top from the hull getting it back on straight is pretty tuff. looking for info and I plan to do all the work myself, it will be a winter project, so I am doing a little research right now. I would also like to add that I want to use polyester resin as opposed to apoxy resin due to the expense attached to apoxy resin. I redid my transom using apoxy resin last summer and was also wondering if there will be any issue with the fact that I used apoxy resin for that.
    [ August 10, 2003, 10:35 PM: Message edited by: dgie ]

Hotcrusader76
    It's my knowledge that the entire stringer will need replacement. This has been quoted at around $2000.00 from a compitent shop.
    I'm sure many have seen cheaper quotes so don't go racing to the credit card just yet to fork it over
    ~Ty

dgie
    damn how much do they charge for a transom replacement?

BK
    Heres some links to info on replacing stringers, im also looking to do the same this winter so ive been collecting info. If you dont know already you might try talking to Barney
    havasubarney.com
    Stringer Repair
    Stringer Repair
    Stringer Repair

dgie
    I went over to the Barney site and it is down. Can anyone give some input on this site on this subject.