Thread: Got motor started today......Whats wrong??

Ranz1
    Today i got a little ambition to work on my boat. Heres what i got and the problems........A 460 BBF with a holley 600cfm carb (i know its small) After it was running i seen a grayish, light smoke comming out of both breathers. About the same rate of flow as a steaming tea pot.Even after warm up it still was there. I had just rebuilt the carb myself, and am wondering if thats it. Also when i shut it off just when it come to a complete stop (the motor) i hear a metel ping from the (i think) fly wheel as if it was rubbing on somthing. But when its running its not making any noise at all. And finally What should my timing be at?

Ranz1

AZKC
    Probably not carb, might be blow by. Do ya run a PCV system? The ping, it might be running hot or have a steam pocket. Is it hooked to water when ya run it? Whats the water temp like? Timing is probably around 8* to 10* initial to start and adjust from there.
    KC

Is it steam (evaporates and disappears) or is it smoke (does not disappear and generally smells like oil)? If it's steam it is likely condensation burning off. If it's oil that is generally more serious. Don't know on your noise.

cyclone
    ant- that's the motor from the junkyard right? if it is, it might be condensation buildup like the other guys mentioned. dont know about the ping.

My 460 has done the ping thing on and off for years. The new motor, and the old one (even with a different flexplate and starter). I'm not sure what exactly causes it, but it'll ring every once in a while when it's shut off. It doesn't seem to hurt anything though. I've had my boat for six years and it's never been an issue.
    [ June 18, 2003, 08:20 AM: Message edited by: Squirtcha? ]