Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Berkeley JC Bowl Seal?

miller19j
    When I am looking at the bowl recess and installing the seal witch side of the seal should be facing out (towards the impeller)? The lipped side with the spring showing or the flat side?
    Any info would be appreciated

NorCal Gameshow
    i'm looking at my 12 jc parts sheet there are a couple of seals it's hard to see which way they're facing. however with those type of seals the the lip with the spring goes in...(towards what you're trying to seal in i.e.when you do grease seals on brakes the lip goes towards the grease)

Check out this link...it explains the seal issue.
    http://www.rexmar.com/page115.html

jweeks123
    quote from Rex Catalog
    "when installing the thrust bearing make sure the notches on the bearing face the shaft sleeve."
    is this going to quietly slide thru this forum??
    jw

Ok, before I get hammered to death on this notch issue, I just read your thrust bearing thread (only took 3 hours hehe)... so I'll ask the thrust master, Jer, how would you word this in a readers digest version to instruct people how to properly install their bearing, depending on what bearing they have (not everyone will have the same bearing nor will they all be using the one we sell, the ZKL 3307). It seems from the thread there are differing views on the importance of the notch direction. Just looking for clarification on what the consensous of opinion is on the notch issue (hopefully you guys won't beat this horse to death again, he's already bleedin pretty bad in that last thread)... As always all your input is welcome here.

SoCalPower
    I like the fact that Rex is posting tips on their site, but I have an issue with something besides the notch direction. The last sentence under thrust bearing installation should read NEVER use antisieze on sleeve and bearing.......
    This info comes straight out of all bearing installation/service/engineering guides. Antisieze is never used on an interference fit application.
    jw, you're all over it again, I expect nothing less.
    db

miller19j
    Thanks Guys,
    The REX Marine site says that the lip should face the Impeller. That seems backwards to me. I would think that the lip should face in twords the gear oil. Seloc "Marine Jet Drive" also says that the lip should face the impeller so I guess its right.

Bitz
    If I recall correctly the reason is the seal is that way is to keep the pressurized water out rather than the oil in. Otther word of advice is to use JM Clipper seals as they stand up a bit better. As long as you have some oil even if water gets in its no big deal....until winter. Make sure and flush out any water at the end of the season by pumping fresh oil in . If you leave water in there and it freezes bad shit can happen.

SoCalPower
    bitz and rex have it right regarding seal orientation.
    like my opinion matters
    db

miller19j
    Thanks guys I just wanted to double check before I got it all together and found that I did it wrong.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast