Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what size water lines

jstwkd
    What size water line with steal braided system should I be running?I'm curently running - 6.Is this to small?502 BBC thermostate housing.two exits

Cheyenne19
    I am running 8 but I am going to reduce my exit inorder to force more water into my headers.

HBjet
    -6 from the pump to the block it too small. I would at least run a -8. On my boat. I run -10 from the pump to the block which pumps through 1/2 inch openings. Exiting, I run -12 from the manifold to outside the boat, and -6 from the manifold to the headers.
    Good Luck!
    HBjet

HBjet
    Originally posted by Cheyenne19:
    I am running 8 but I am going to reduce my exit inorder to force more water into my headers.
    Don't do that. If you want more water in your headers (which is another question in it's self) Remove the water jets from the headers and drill them out a little larger. Much cheaper.
    Now, why do you want more water to your headers?
    HBjet

78Eliminator
    Question: What if you never run water through your wet headers?
    There are two reasons for wet header, right?
    1. Reduce exhaust decibles
    2. Cool motor
    So if your motor is running cool, and the cops are not around to bust you for noise, dry is fine, right?

jstwkd
    I run -6 from a pick up on the bottom of the boat for the headers.The rest of the system is also -6 and I'm running the 4 hole thermostate system.Wich I found out actually btpasses motor at high rpms.So this may be part of my problem.But the temp. gauge flucuates 160- 180.I'm trying to figure out why I heated up one side of the block and killed 2 intakes and three pistons.

JEThro
    Travis,If I were you,I'd go back to the basic plumbing setup to start with and then start modifying it in steps. I don't know much about running a thermostat so this might be a stupid question. What circulates the water when the thermostat is closed? Also,are your headers only getting water from the pick-up on the bottem? I think you would be taking a chance of flooding them if you went from high speeds to no speeds. Jethro
    P.S. Is that offer still good on those parts?

Cheyenne19
    HB,
    one side of my headers is not getting water to it. The T valve works fine, the problem is that the water flows in the path of least resistance, which is out the water line through the transom. So I am putting a cap on the end of the lines and drilling a hole in the cap in order to reduce the size of the line, this will build up more pressure and get more water to my headers in order to prevent blueing it. It will also raise my temp. to over the 135-140 range that it now runs. But you are right i could drill out the holes to the header, but isn't the actual water line to the headers still very small?
    c19

Cheyenne, it's fairly common to just install a valve on the water outlet hose. This allows easy adjustment.
    Sounds like you may have some blockage in the hose from "T-valve" to water injection manifold, or in the water manifold itself.
    You might want to do some reading at Bassett FAQ (http://www.bassettracing.com/newpage7.htm).

jstwkd
    Ok call me an idiot.I talk to the guy who set me up with my plumbing and I'm running -8 .will this be ok?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast