Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: GOT RUDDER?

ChetCapoli
    Originally posted by GasTurbine:
    Did you know that even painting a hull can hurt top end as well?
    Worm can #3 now open. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif
    I just finished painting the bottom of my boat and was going to wet sand the last 3 feet with 1000grit paper because i was told the same as you just mentioned. If it's too smooth it will "stick" just like a piece of glass does. What speeds have you lost if any because of this?
    thanks in advance, chet
    [This message has been edited by ChetCapoli (edited June 06, 2002).]

Lifeguard
    Hi, I have driven jets forever at least it seems that way. Those pesky rudders that are supposed to help with low speed handling, dont. Jets without the rudder generally pivot at a point amidships similar to a twin screw and will handle just as well. The rudder kills that by moving the pivot point and forcing the vessel to have a wider turning radius. I prefer to be able to turn in my own wake, pivot in a circle without changing position and being able to walk the vessel sideways, etc. If you are used to props and rudders it takes a while to get used to but with a little practice you will be amazed by what you can do without the limitations the rudder causes.
    Originally posted by novaguy:
    Just wondering what you guys thought about having a rudder. When I installed my Place Diverter, I did not install a rudder. I don't know what the difference would be if I had one because I added the Place Diverter as soon as I purchased my boat. My main concern is cruising through the channel at low speed in Havasu and docking. I am all over the place right now, while cruising at low speeds. I am getting a lot better in my docking skills. I called Jack at MPD (he did my jet) and he said the rudder would help me a lot while cruising at low speeds but do nothing for docking. I was just wondering what your guys experience was with having or not having a rudder.
    http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Read...ats/1boat1.JPG

GasTurbine
    Originally posted by ChetCapoli:
    I just finished painting the bottom of my boat and was going to wet sand the last 3 feet with 1000grit paper because i was told the same as you just mentioned. If it's too smooth it will "stick" just like a piece of glass does. What speeds have you lost if any because of this?
    thanks in advance, chet
    [This message has been edited by ChetCapoli (edited June 06, 2002).]
    We actually did not do that testing, but it was a close friend ours, who shares the same...perfectionism?...as we do. He had a 19' 300hp/Jacuzzi...he stated he lost 3 mph after painting his hull.
    I will say I have never heard of a hull being "too smooth". Glass "sticks" to the membrain of water because it is flat and smooth...boat hulls are not flat...seems to me that one would want the absolute smoothest (hull) surface you could get.

Hotcrusader76
    You said it HB...I concurr!
    Originally posted by HBjet:
    Problem solved!
    Here is a pic of GasTurbine's ride. Apparenty we are talking about 2 different types of Jet Boats.
    http://home.columbus.rr.com/n8wct/mvc-915f.jpg
    HBjet

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234