Thread: Keeping Starter Dry?

FoMoCo
    I had to replace my starter 3 times last summer becasue I would get a little water in the back of the boat for a couple of seconds, and they would rust and corroid! Can I use silicon on the starters? I am using a stock BBF starter with a lifetime warranty, but that does not help when it quits working in the middle of the lake! Do i just need to keep the water out of the boat? shoul di buy a Marine starter, can they take the water abuse?

spectras only
    FoMoCo , if you have the Harman marinized Ford ,give them a call and ask for a top mount starter.I had the same problem with my jetboat for 26 years [ ca 6 starters in all ] and my buddy who owns it now just replaced his ford starter and got the topmount.The old starter sits too deep in the bilge and it's nearly impossible to keep water out that slung by the flexplate.

I have a brand new Motorcraft marine starter for a BBF, but can't use it because of the clearance on the bellhousing. It is a gear reduction starter, and with the shaft ofset, you would need a bigger "hump" in the bellhousing where nosecone for the starter goes. I run a car starter, and have just resigned myself to keeping it as dry as possible. If your bellhousing has the capability, you can run a reverse rotation starter on top, but break out the $$$$.
    If you're interested in the starter, just PM me.

HalletDave
    FoMoCo,
    First of all I would try to keep the water out of the bilge area. Install an automatic bilge pump, one that pumps when water gets to a certain level.
    When you replace the starter the next time, use some liquid electrical insulator on all the connections. I don't remember who makes the stuff
    but I am sure someone will chime in here soon and let us know where to get the stuff or suggest other things to do to help us safeguard our boat starters. Hope this helps.
    HD

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
    Dave,
    you should be able to get the dielectrical grease at any autoparts. That stuff works great. I would even suggest using a little bit around the tip of your spark plug boots. it's cheap too. You guys must be taking some hellacious wakes over the back end to get that much water in the bilge. My pump comes on automatically at about 3" of water and pumps it out quick. I have had my boat 3 years and no problems. Does the starter work after it dries out? Remember on Ford's you have a slave solenoid that is probably mounted low also. I know if it gets wet it won't like it. If it is low try mounting it up higher like on the back of the seat or something. Defenitely use the grease on all electrical connections wether they will be under water or not. it really extends the life of the connectors and gives you a better connection.

77charger
    kinda weird i had an auto starter on my old boat even the lifetime warranty(used only once) but never stopped because of water it was mounted low also.

Here's you liquid electrical sealer. ...bottom right hand corner of page.
    Top mount starter is the best answer but not always possible, may require bellhousing change, can be expensive, etc.

Jungle Boy
    I have had the same problem for the first few years of boating. For the last couple of years I have been spraying (lots of it) the starter with WD-40 before and after each outing and don't tarp up the boat with water in the bilge area. With the tarp on it, it just steams away and get moisture into everything. This has increased starter life for me. Also - use the auto bilge pump that was mentioned before. They work good.
    [ April 30, 2003, 01:02 PM: Message edited by: Jungle Boy ]

79Hawaiian
    I had the same problems with my 460. I could not go to a top mount because my set back pump does not allow for enough room in the back of the boat. On my 4th starter in 2 years I bought some rubberized spray used for rust prevention under fenders in snow/salt enviroments. I masked the shaft off and sprayed the whole thing down, two coats. Not sure if it made a difference or if it was just luck but that starter has been in my boat for over 7 years with no problems.
    Good luck!