Thread: Battery ?

corporate Jet
    I have a BB Chevy that has developed a sluggish cranking tendency when restarting after a period of time running. I have a Prestolite alternator and an average marine batt., from the auto store. Is there a way to test the alternator for proper battery charging while the engine is running? What should the volt gauge read while running? And, any suggestions on a good battery to buy if that turns out to be the problem?

spectras only
    corporate jet,for starters ,get the red top optima battery [starting battery] and a blue top [deepcycle] for your accessories like stereos and such.If you have an ammeter only on your dash to check charging ,get a volt meter as well.It should read above 12 volts [12.5V].You can buy a tester at most speedshops that plugs in your cigarette lighter socket .This equipment checks your alternator's output as well as the condition of your battery while you're running your engines.Your brushes in the alternator may have worn down ,or the built in regulator faltered ,causing insufficient charge.Hope this helped.

Byron
    Have you checked your timing? Too much advance (initial) can cause hard starting. Just a thought.

Cheyenne19
    Go with the red top. Mine spins the piss out of my motor. You can also check the voltage on either one of the wires coming off of the alt. provided you dont have a diode installed if so then use the other wire. You might need to disconnect this wire before checking it. Because if the batt is run down some the eccess volts, or anything above 12v will be going into the batt and you wont be able to get a reading.
    c19

Hotcrusader76
    Originally posted by Cheyenne19:
    You might need to disconnect this wire before checking it. Because if the batt is run down some the eccess volts, or anything above 12v will be going into the batt and you wont be able to get a reading.
    c19
    Isn't this an issue with amperage? Not Volts...The alternator needs to be checked on output. Output rate won't be a volts issue but a flow concern. That's amps! In order to conduct a check on amperage, one must get inline with the source and destination (meaning a connection between the battery and alternator output (positive cable).
    I was trained by the military in airborne and marine advanced electronics, and that was how we were taught.
    Just my 0.02
    If there is another way, inform me asap, because my alt. is shitting the bed as we speak!
    Thanks
    Ty Lofstrom
    TPC Racing
    sales@tpcracing.com
    [This message has been edited by Hotcrusader76 (edited June 20, 2002).]

sgdiv7
    you can not test a alt. with a low batt. and the same goes, you can not test a low batt. you need to load test both no exceptions....if you don't all your going to get a false reading.
    Bill