Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Set Back Pumps

Foss75
    Just wondering everyone's opinion...
    What is the proper way to rig a set back pump?
    Should it always have a machined intake, ride plate and shoe?
    If it is not necessary, is it the preferred method of installing a set-back pump?
    Thanks for your help.

ChetCapoli
    HB do you not know this gentleman? Foss if your going thru the trouble of a setback a machined intake is a must. Everything else is mickeymouse.
    hope that helps, if not just visit our boy HB
    CHET

77charger
    i believ a ride plate is needed also

jet4fun
    my personal thought here is that if youre gonna go to the trouble of dong a setback pump you would be an idiot not to have the intake machined while its out and install a shoe and rideplate...
    i guarantee if you dont do it you will curse yourself out when you have to pull the intake out again in a couple of years because you now want a rideplate and shoe

I just had mine done. It wasn't cheap but I'm sure glad I did it. It's like a different boat now.
    You're gains will most likely come from the additional hardware and a proper setup, moreso than the just a setback pump. The reason I had mine setback was because I wanted to add the shoe n rideplate, not the other way around. My understanding is that each boat (sometimes even the same maker n hull) will respond differently. When mine was first done, I was kinda disappointed in that I didn't see or feel what I was hoping for. A buddy of mine that races (Jim Sampica) met me at the lake last weekend and setup the rideplate angle and put in a 3 degree up wedge and I was absolutely amazed at the difference. It has to be set up correctly in order to work for your boat, but when it is, it's an incredible difference.
    I'm not sure what type hull you have but for mine, it was definitely the way to go.
    This picture was taken before the setup work. It now has a 3 degree wedge and more up angle to the plate.

[ March 13, 2003, 08:44 AM: Message edited by: Squirtcha? ]

jet4fun
    hey squirt,
    not really a big deal at all but i just thought i would let you know that you dont have a "jetovator"... you have a place diverter... the jetovator is very rare and was produced by berkeley in the 70's. it used an electric motor to go up and down...
    i think a lot of people that have been boating since the 70's just refer to all diverters as jetovators... kinda like how all people refer to inline skates as Rollerblades. and all sit down PWC's are called Waverunners

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jet4fun:
    [QB] hey squirt,
    not really a big deal at all but i just thought i would let you know that you dont have a "jetovator"... you have a place diverter...

I used to have a jetovator. I sold that quite a while ago. Were you looking at my webpages or something? I wanted to run a droop and of course I couldn't do that with the jetovator so I changed it last year. My webpage hasn't been updated for quite a while. Maybe that's where you saw it?
    Oops I just realized where ya saw it. It's on my signature at the bottom. Obviously I haven't been here in a while and updated either.
    [ March 13, 2003, 12:22 PM: Message edited by: Squirtcha? ]

Foss75
    Thanks for your input guys!

jet4fun
    BIGAMIST:
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by jet4fun:
    [QB] hey squirt,
    not really a big deal at all but i just thought i would let you know that you dont have a "jetovator"... you have a place diverter...
    hey jeff, what are you confused about? you know the difference between a jetovator and a place diverter right??? jerry has a jetovator
    p.s. no problemo squirt, i wasnt tryin to be a know-it-all i just thought i would let you know, but it looks like you already did so good... sometimes people will go WAAAAAAY out of their way to give you a lesson on the history of the diverter/jetovator, i was just tryin to save you from that smile_sp

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast