Thread: New member here...

Reds75Makai
    Just wanted to say what's up to everyone out there. I bought my first squirt boat at the end of last summer. It's a 21 foot '75 Makai with a berkley jet that has an "A" impellar. Needs new paint and interior, but I'll live with it till the end of the season. I've just finished building a spankin brand new 454 for it. It's completley set up for marine. But the only problem that I had putting the motor in is that I had to "freshly" mount it in. The previous owner had a top rail kit, so there are no holes on the sides of the runners. I ended up getting the Glenwood cast setup with the bolt on ears. My question is...what's the easiest way to set those up and have the motor sit in there at the desired angle???? Please somone enlighten me......

kp216
    Sorry, posted on the wrong thread!
    [ May 17, 2003, 06:09 PM: Message edited by: kp216 ]

sleekcraft76
    i used blockes of wood between the mounts and the hull as shims. and then add or remove shims to line up the drive line .

welcome to the forum.
    what he said works pretty well. The driveline angle is pretty important. Get everything lined up and drill away. A good digital angle finder can be a very helpful tool. At the very least an accurate angle finding protractor type tool that should be available from any good hardware supply / tool store.
    All 2 u-joint type drivelines should run with the yoke and engine end parallel, with at least one degree of offset in shaft angle between these end assemblies and no more than 3. It is necessary for ujoint longevity and vibration control. With the angle needles continually rotate allowing equal wear and good lubrication from grease. This holds true in a jet boat, a vdrive boat, or your car for that matter. You should not install a 2 u-joint type driveline perfectly straight line. Not good.
    Here's a pretty good link for driveline theory and diagrams to help you understand what's going on with ujoints. Driveline angle basics Hope this helps you out.
    [ May 19, 2003, 02:12 AM: Message edited by: Rexone ]