Thread: Bilge Pump for Tunnel Hull

PC Rat
    How do you guys with tunnel hull boats bilge out the center? I only have 2 inches between the pump and the tunnels, so my bilge pump is beside the oil pan. A lot of water gets in there before I can bilge it out. Is there some kind of pump that will suck through a hose, so I can run the hose to the back? Any other ideas, or know of a really small diameter bilge pump?
    Thanks,
    Brian

572Daytona
    I have a Jabsco diaphragm pump on mine - http://www.jabsco.com/diapbilg.asp It mounts on the transom with just a hose with a strainer running down into the bilge between the pump and the stringer, here is a picture, you can see the pump on the far right side of the picture in the middle, one hose goes down into the bilge, the other out a thru hull fitting

bp
    pc, you're pump is set back, isn't it?? i have my bilge pump sitting on the front of the jet intake. works ok, but 572's idea sounds great too. i just don't have the room to mount a pump where he did...

fat rat
    Mine sits in front of the motor!

LVjetboy
    PC Rat,
    Here's a dual 500 GPH install on a PC:

Left pump staggered forward so right pump is primary and left is backup. The hose loops at the top effectively raise the outlet to the top of the rear deck...less drainback when hull angled on the beach even with the outlets just above deck part level and jet skis f*cking around. Duckbill drains on side sponsons.
    jer
    [ July 22, 2002, 09:19 PM: Message edited by: LVjetboy ]

PC Rat
    My pump is not set back. So a bilge pump will not fit between the intake and engine.
    572Daytona a setup like yours is what I was looking for. Did you actually purchase the pump from Jabsco or some other dealer? I looked around on the net and found the pump for about $170. If I can't find a less expensive alternative, I may have to shell out the cash - I hate having any water in there, when I get off the gas the water splashes over the divider and up to the front.

572Daytona
    I got mine from a local West Marine store, I actually got the washdown pump model and not the bilge pump since they didn't have the bilge pump version. It was the basically the same pump the only difference was that it is not ignition protected, since I don't have an enclosed engine compartment it didn't matter to me. I just checked their website and they have the washdown one for $159, they also have a a Par-Max 3 version of the same pump which is rated at 3.5gpm instead of 4.3 but it is cheaper at 119.
    http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/com...prrfnbr=116379

LVjetboy
    Only thing about positive displacement is higher current draw for same flow capacity... dam the friction!
    For example, the 4 gpm (240 gph) Jabsco draws 6 amps @ 12 VDC. While the Rule 500 gph (2.5" w) draws 1.9 amps @ 12 VDC. So about 1/3 the current draw at twice the flow capacity for a vane design. In fact, dual vane pumps flowing 1000 GPH still only draw 3.8 amps compared to 6 amps of the single pos design, flowing only 240 gph. About four times the keep-from-sinking-capacity at nearly half the dead-in-the-morning battery drain...for example? Something to consider when rocking the beach all night then draining the bildge till' dawn on a single battery. All while you're sleeping off a hang-over? No small task in my opinion.
    And dual pumps may be good insurance with your PC's freeboard compared to the Daytona when the lake kicks or wake board boats rock.
    I know the challenge of fitting bilge pumps in a PC. Not knocking 572's choice, just giving options for your PC.
    Good luck,
    jer
    [ July 22, 2002, 10:59 PM: Message edited by: LVjetboy ]

572Daytona
    Just fyi...I also have 3 vane type pumps, 1 in each of the outside tunnels in one in front of the motor in case I ever get a serious water problem. I agree that the vane type ones are the way to go if you can fit them, they pump more water, are quieter and cost much less.