Thread: replies to possible pump damage

CANGELOUS
    update to boat not going over 3000rpm, went to change fuel filter, found that the people who did it last crossthreaded the inlet fitting, found a used but in good shape replacement quadrajet, secondaries open on this one....throttle cable had about 1 and a half of play, fixed that...points were gapped at 4 thousands, regapped them....engine starts a lot easier...going to put the boat back in water tomorrow.....thanks for the replies from bense 468, bp, 77charger, oldsquirt....keep everyone updated on the performance.....thanks can

jordanpaulk
    Best thing to do in a marine application is to get rid of the points. Upgrade to an HEI unit or even better an MSD distributor with a box and a rev limiter. The water/humidity from the lake will eat your points and cause you more problems down the road.
    Jordy

HammerDown
    I've gotta disagree with the above comment...I have a dual point mallory in my 468...when (set up correctly), they work great. Heck a bud of mine rip's his motor up to 7200 with the same set up. True its old technology...but guess what, it starts great, its trouble free, it preforms flawlessly...and I still have the same set of point's in from 3 years ago...haven't needed to touch em! If someone handed me a free MSD or Crane set up sure I'd use it...but I'll still carry an extra system for when that hi-tech box fails.

Bense468
    but I'll still carry an extra system for when that hi-tech box fails.
    I do agree with the comment above about haveing a back up. I had points. I shit canned them and bought a MSD setup. I love it.

77charger
    i had points and electronics now back to electronic.but their was no real gain in the upgrade(not a whole lot)except the point gapping is now skipped.but points you can always sand in an emergency
    other words points have never left me stranded and electronics have!!!

hack job
    acutally hei is bad it is not a water tight cap an will allow water in ! got with the msd or the petronix kit for the distb. you have that will eliminate your points and the gaping problem.
    Tyson www.plumbersassracing.com (http://www.plumbersassracing.com)