Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A or B inpeller, how can you tell?

corporatejet
    Hi everyone, I think I have an easy question. I have a 78 19Â’ Taylor w/ a 454 BB. Can anyone suggest the correct size inpeller for this setup and higher speed and how can I visually inspect my inpeller to tell what size it is? Thanks

77charger
    You need to remove the impeller and measure the small end of it.i dont know off hand what the measurements are but i am sure someone will post them or you can take it to a pump rebuilder and have them check it out

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
    the impeller size is dependant on the horsepower your motor makes and more importantly at what rpm's your max hp is. If you had any idea of what kind of parts you had in it it would help in guessing the horsepower or using a desktop dyno. What rpm's do you turn now? and what speed? these are all very helpful facts when approaching the board with this question

jim@pj
    Corporate.. Most impellers have a letter stamped on the face next to the puller flange, A, B etc.. You could have an impeller that was re- cut or has no marking and in that case you need to measure the small and large diameters of the impeller at the outlet fin. This combo will tell you what you have. Impeller sizing is a great debate. To figure out what size you may need in the future you will have to consider a number of issues. First, how is your motor built, Second how big is your boat and third and most importantly, what do YOU want to achieve.
    It really depends on what you want as the end result. When I build jets for customers I always try to figure out the customers "boating personality" so that the customer ends up with his/her desired performance. Call me when you are ready or talk to any reputable jet builder. Thanks jim www.performancejet.com

LVjetboy
    Jim, from my understanding, the mfg. normally stamps the impeller? Or is that just Berkeley? As in if that impeller is cut later to a smaller size it is typically not restamped? Is there a standard out there? Do any tuners ever restamp an impeller? I know mine's cut to a B, but stamped with an A. From what I've heard, the stamp is factory and the cut depends on what happens after? Just wondering.
    Corporate, if your goal is top speed, then I say (as bubble jet posted) match your impeller to peak engine power. I think a mild to not so mild 454 can benefit from a Berkeley B impeller. Of course, different mfg's have different curves. What's your impeller brand?
    jer
    [ April 17, 2003, 11:10 PM: Message edited by: LVjetboy ]

HBjet
    I was say a B cut impeller would be fin for you too! As for some charts for impellers, here you go!

HBjet

HBjet
    Oh, and all you need to do is remove the bowl to check your impeller. you don't need to remove the impeller itself.
    HBjet

Jake W
    What kind of Taylor do you have?LP, SS, SJ or daycruzer?If it is a LP or daycruzer i would stay with an A these are fairly big and heavy boats.Jake

malcolm
    My Jacuzzi WJ has a B stamped on the impeller and also on the bowl. What's up with that?

jim@pj
    LV Jet Yes , the manufacturers do put a letter on thier impellers. When an impeller is re cut it depends on the shop as to weather or not they will re stamp the impeller. Some do, some don't. I used to re stamp always but I got a little lazy. The impeller cut is put on my build sheet and reciept to the customer. Usaully the last number on the serial number of the data plate will designate the cut on a stock unit.
    The thread about the jacuzzi B . Yes you have a B imp. Jim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast