Thread: Basset water line question

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    If the fitting to the hardlines arent restricted(little brass fitting that drops the water passage down) will that allow water to get into the engine? When I run the headers dry I dont get any water in the oil. If I run water through the headers I get water in the oil. If I run the gate valve all the way open water still comes into the headers at about 3000 rpm's. Is this supposed to happen? P.s sorry for all the questions but I am trying to work out the small issues. I am trying to accomplish a turnkey boat.

JESSE
    mine did the same thing i just shut the gate valve
    when i am in no wake zones our at idle and i open it about 3/4 the rest of the time.i know thire has to be a better way but it dose stop the water from geting in

396 we have the brass jets you can put in your open -8AN fittings. Wide open -8 is too much water. We also have -8 male adapters that have about a 1/8 hole in them. Just give a call if you need any help figuring it out.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    Rexone:
    396 we have the brass jets you can put in your open -8AN fittings. Wide open -8 is too much water. We also have -8 male adapters that have about a 1/8 hole in them. Just give a call if you need any help figuring it out. I just got a pair today. I will be making some changes tomorrow, like my "globe valves". I am switching them to gate valves. then I am adding the restrictors.

Mohavekid
    396, open lines to the headers allow too much water. You need to restict the water with a gate valve open 1/4 to 1/2 way and also with a restrictor at the end of your lines before the water goes into the header lines.
    Your t-valve has a spring and check ball in it that should control water flow to the headers under a certain pressure. Usually the pressure builds enough by 3000 rpm or so to open the valve and let the water through.
    It's not exact, once you get the restrictors in, you'll have to play with the gate valve some to determine the correct position.
    Good luck.

Danhercules
    What happens if headers are run dry all together? Is that bad? What can happen?

LVjetboy
    They just get really hot. I ran mine dry for awhile in my first jet. One day my jacket flew back (wasn't wearing it) got on the headers and started on fire. Had to toss it in the lake Other than the safety issue, no problem.
    jer

burbanite
    I run mine dry.

Mohavekid
    Running them dry will blue up the chrome real quick.
    They're also louder.
    If you don't worry about the looks or the law getting after you, no problem.