Thread: running water to the engine while on the trailer.

jboehm
    i guess i want to run a hose to the motor.where do you hook it into and what do you use? i was thinking of putting a "t" into the line from the pump to the front of the motor. is this ok. do i need to source water to the pump as well? mainly i want to check for leaks before i drag it to the lake. also i need to set the timing and tune the carb. i don't like running it dry .

Mandelon
    There's a boat load of threads on this. Try doing a search for details, but they mostly went like this: T into the engine pickup and also run a hose into the jet intake to keep it wet. don't run it too long or too fast, don't use too high of pressure into the engine.

Hotcrusader76
    So do you think that when I break my cam in next week for the new motor that I should just disconnect the jet and reconnect it after my 20 minute rumble? That's what I want to do and I believe everybody breaking in a motor should do.
    What's your opinion on this?
    ~Ty

victorfb
    Yes definatly. 20 minutes is way to long to run it out of the water. but make sure you hook the engine up to some sort of water supply. a good idea is to get a preasure regulater like the ones used on motorhomes when hooking up to city water. your water supply at the house is most likely set at 35 psi, try and regulate it to about 10-12. watch the temp gauge. you may want to have someone else with you while breaking in the cam just in case you need to adjust water supply, or any other task as you will be at the throttle. just a thought.

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
    if your system is setup right there is no need for a regulator to run the water off the house through engine. the only way you get pressure is through restriction. As long as you have the discharge side free of valves or thermostats you will be fine.

Mandelon
    I have seen water pressures checked at the hose bibb anywhere form 35 to 135 pounds....a regulator sounds like a wise idea.

Taylorman
    OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET:
    if your system is setup right there is no need for a regulator to run the water off the house through engine. the only way you get pressure is through restriction. As long as you have the discharge side free of valves or thermostats you will be fine. I agree, your pump sure puts out more pressure than city water. If you have no restriction in your lines then you should not have a problem. If you do have restriction, turn the hose on enough so not to allow the t valve to open and you should not have a problem.

spectratoad
    I hook my hose up without regulator no problem. The guys are right though about the regulator if you have high pressure coming from your house. It is always better to be safe than sorry. When I hook mine up I don't turn the hose on full. I have about 60psi at the bib. The water if I leave it on without running the engine will eventually just flow out the exhaust.