Thread: DEAD KNOCK

460rogers
    Last night I helped my buddy put the motor back in his taylor.We just rebuilt it 40 over new flat top forged pistons and a new 280 cam.It's a BBF with D3VE heads.Started it up on the hose and it ran great.BUT as we were cleaning up we let it run and we started hearing a LOUD dead knock coming from deep down.We pulled it back out pulled the pan and plastigauged all the mains and rods everything checked out.We changed the U joints on the coupler and dropped it back in,fired it back up and knock came back.It sounded like it was coming from the flywheel area so we pulled it again and still found no problem.Stuck it back in fired it up still knocking .We were trying to pinpoint the knock and I reached down to check water temp at through transom exhaust and the noise stopped.Damn little rubber flaps were slapping so hard with new cam it sounded like a main cap got left off.4:00 in am we locked up.DAMN RUBBER FLAPS.

Danhercules
    LMAO.
    Dude that sucks. Its funny though, you have to admit. Its always the easy things/

Jetdriver
    LOL thats funny!

Havasu Hangin'
    Yep...at idle, mine sound like somethin's coming apart big time. You'll get used to it...

got_river
    LOL,
    Yeah sometimes you wonder cause the cam "rocks"
    it transmits noise through the stringers but what alot of people don't understand is there is lash
    between the driveshaft and pump shaft splines.
    That "rock" can sometimes make sound like a potential "gernade".
    I always punched my pump splines with a center punch to spread em just a little bit. Makes it alot quieter.
    "sounds like you got under control"
    many Beers and alot of awes..ts later I bet!!!!

Moneypitt
    Finally a story with a happy ending, instead of estimated cost of damage repair. Happy boating!!...Moneypitt

cyclone
    my old rogers did the same thing with the TT exhaust. glad to hear it wasn't anything expensive.

Hallett19
    How much of a relief is it to find out its no big deal ? Too bad you did all that r&r to find out it was a damn rubber flap

checkmate76
    Yeah I fired mine up once and some idiot by-stander says "That things missin' ain't it?
    runnin a little rough?"
    NO! its the big cam dumbass!!!

460rogers
    I knew this group would get a kick out of that. It wernt funny then but we laughed about it today. Hope no more "duhs"saturday when we test it on the water.