Thread: COMPLETE 454 BBC

hickz3
    Just looking for a little advice I guess. I found a complete 454 BBC in the local paper for $1800 CDN (approx $1200 US). It came out of a 1 tonne chev pickup, listed as 4 bolt, new style block. Haven't heard it run but guy says it ran couple of months ago when it was removed. Any ideas what horse this might be or any other help would be appreciated.

hickz3
    Oh yea, I'm buying this motor to eventually replace the 455 OLDS I'm currently running. Where would I buy a new set of u-joints (I run a Jacuzzi YJ pump). Want to slowly build up the 454 till the 455 blows. Thanks

SoggyJet
    An engine from a truck will be similar to the base Mercruiser marine engine which is 330 hp. Be aware that the heads on that engine will have the small round intake ports(peanut ports), good for low speed torque, but not great for making speedy jet boats. If you want to make this a performance engine you will have to find heads with larger intake ports.
    Doug

im pulling a set of bbc (big oval) heads off my block next week and they are gone! "Out with the old!...in with the new! the heads are in great shape make me an offer!

DansBlown73Nordic
    I also have several sets of oval port heads if your interested.

502procharger
    i also have some 500hp heads great shape with heavy duty manely valves and springs, $800.00
    [ March 23, 2003, 03:51 PM: Message edited by: 502procharger ]

lakesmodified
    hickz3:
    Just looking for a little advice I guess. I found a complete 454 BBC in the local paper for $1800 CDN (approx $1200 US). It came out of a 1 tonne chev pickup, listed as 4 bolt, new style block. Haven't heard it run but guy says it ran couple of months ago when it was removed. Any ideas what horse this might be or any other help would be appreciated. hick3z, pass up on that engine.. Though a good block for building, the rest of the engine is low output. As the other guys on this board already said, the heads are basically junk, the pistons are low compression, so all you're left with is a good block, crank and "possibly" rods! Way too much for $1200 US..

hickz3
    Thanks for the info guys. Really do appreciate it. If anyone hears of a 454 block at a good price, let me know.

Cas
    Hickz,
    If the guy will let you, pull a valve cover to check the head number. I just picked up a BBC out of a truck with 781 large oval ports. The other one is the 049's (last 3 #'s of the number)
    You never know until you look.