Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: when is it two big to be jet powered

SuperWrench0166
    imghttp://www.harbercrafteagle.com/Gallery/custom.10.jpg/img
    Is this two large wanting the new dual drive setup
    just tough getting any more info on it. this boat is suposedly 23' long and all aluminum

SuperWrench0166

Lake Lifeguard
    I am rather found of jets and their capabilities so I am biased; but with that in mind, nothing is two big for a jet drive. Its just a matter of intended use and if the hull allows for a jet. A fantasy boat of mine is a 30+ ft. boat with dual Kodiak Jets to get me into any dive spot my heart desires. Of course this will have to wait until I get adopted by an rich old couple or until I win the lottery.

Jungle Boy
    That boat was built about 10 - 12 years ago for a customer in the States somewhere. I remember asking one of the guys how it ran and they said it was under powered but would work better if it had more HP. The boat looked good in the photos I've seen in their shop.

SuperWrench0166
    hey jungle boy how much info you have on that boat all i get is very little details i cant even get much info on the 21 ft model i want some specs and more pics any help would be appreciated they sorta lost after their big merger

mud duck
    If you count aluminum fishing charter boats, jets can get really big (30+ ft). But if you stick to a sporty or sleeker hull design, they stop at about 25ft. Ultra made a 24' jet, Sleek Craft made a 24' jet, Thunder Jet made a 25ft jet, to name a few.
    If you go that big and stay with jet power, you should keep to aluminum hulls. Can not use them in salt water, but they are stronger and lighter in weight that glass hulls.
    I just posted a 25ft Aluminum Thunder Jet pic in readers rides -> jet boats. Take a look. This boat is a 1989, has a 460 with a Berkely pump.

rivercrazy
    IMHO any boat much larger than a 21 or that weights in at close to 2800 or 3000 pounds is getting pretty big for a jet and performance will suffer big time. That is unless you like getting passed by PWC's.
    You need a huge motor to make a big boat work with a jet. 500 cubes or bigger with big cut impellers so they can cruise at a reasonable RPM. Something like a 562 with a AA impeller would be impressive. However, if you dump that kind of motor in the boat and sell it down with road (with the motor), you will never get your money out of it.

Jungle Boy
    Superwrench,
    I own a 21' sport boat and think it is a great boat. It's a 1998 model with a steptech hull and weights about 2200 lbs with small block chev engine. For riverboating, it's like driving a Cadilac Eldorado. Very smooth and comfortable. On lakes, it works good too and turns alot of heads with the pearl paint. With a 445 hp, 383 stroker it runs about 70 mph at 3400 ft. I'll post a photo of it in rider rides, cause I still don't know how to do it here. About the 23' boat, I'll have to ask for more info from Rob when I get home from work. The guys that are there now, weren't there when that boat was built. Also, there is no problem with running a aluminum boat in salt water. There is a thread in there forum about it that explains it. Most of the big fishing boats they are building are for guys on the west coast.
    JB

SuperWrench0166
    you guys are great. ty much I am still thinking a big cube big block with that new dual drive configuration they are working on would work very
    well in this application. if your doing that fast
    with a small block in a 21 ft i should be ablte to get a 23 to 27 ft do that with a big cube engine pushing lots of torque. i am thinking of in the neighborhood of 600 plus cubic inches just tough getting much info together right now. i want something i can put in the the big lakes and still be comfortable with heavy water.

Jungle Boy
    SuperWrench0166:
    you guys are great. ty much I am still thinking a big cube big block with that new dual drive configuration they are working on would work very
    well in this application. if your doing that fast
    with a small block in a 21 ft i should be ablte to get a 23 to 27 ft do that with a big cube engine pushing lots of torque. i am thinking of in the neighborhood of 600 plus cubic inches just tough getting much info together right now. i want something i can put in the the big lakes and still be comfortable with heavy water.Superwrench,
    I hope I didn't give you the idea that I work there. I work in South America but have known and hung with the owners of Eagle for years. I get a case of beer for every boat I sell!!! No, I just love the shit out of these boats and try to promote when I can. I have owned 3 and still have 2 in my little fleet. They really do perform well and we have a blast running skinny rivers. The boating season is short where we live so the type of boating we do can be done from the day the ice breaks to the day it freezes up. Lake boating season here is about 4.5 months. If you ever come up to check out the boats, look me up and we'll take you for a rip.
    JB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast