Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Same Olds Questions, Same Olds ...HELP !!!

Wet Dream
    jrau:
    I got 450-460hp out of it but at 6800 rpm. 6800?!?!?! Am I reading that right? With an AA? You should be up around 750 if you're turning an AA at 6800. What am I missing?

moneysucker
    I know a guy who can tell you exactly what to do with an olds. And it is not to make it an anchor. I used to hear that one all the time. he ran one on nitrous for 3 years or so and then blown for two. He was telling me what to do to mine before I got a new boat with a Chevy. Now I can buy parts anywhere. He still has the blower intake manifold and pully's if that is the route you want to take. He has all sorts of tricks. Restrictors, opening up returns, notching the rods I don't know. let me know if you want his #.

Halletosis76
    Thank You all who have input the info, Please keep it comming....Hey Moneysucker, Please pass that # on to me . Slotracer, North Stucktown ,Eldorado & Hammer pig_flyi Hope every one has had a good summer.I heard there is a gathering for LBBA this month,I wonder if I can get some help on some local machinist I can trust not to work the heads like a chevy or maybe get a line on a good complete chevy motor or olds, Its all about the money wink
    Talk at you later, Craig M. L.

v-drive
    Dave Smith engineering in Exiter (central) Ca. I don't have his number but he can also give you advice on olds builds but they aren't cheap.
    v-drive

455Olds
    This is the stream I need to be reading... I posted this in an earlier stream, and haven't got much for responses... of course it's been just a short time...
    Recently rebuilt my 455 olds, moderate cam, dual holley 750's, offy tunnel ram... I was told to use a standard oil pump rather than a high flow because the 455 commonly throws the oil to the top end and starves the pump. She holds just the 5-6 stock quarts. My hull is extremely shallow, and does not lend itself to a larger pan. I can barely squeeze my fingers under the pan currently. When I run it I have just 25 lbs oil pressure... never lower. Two guages read the same. Collapsed lifter? Any help?
    After posting it, I've read countless posts regarding oiling problems with Olds engines... obviously this problem is not new... just new to me.

travis hathaway
    455-the 10 qt oil pans are the same height as stock pans. I am on the third rebuild with my olds and am in the second summer with decent performance from the most recent. Most of the mondello oil fixes are on my engine. There is only a half inch clearence at the rear of my 10 qt oil pan.

455Olds
    I've heard this "mondello" name thrown around alot in hear... who, what, where is this clown... I could use his help.

Back Forty
    Go here and do a search on Mondello...
    www.realoldspower.com

Cas
    what came first? the chicken or the egg?
    Chevy, Olds or Ford?
    Which engine builder?
    People can debate this stuff forever and never agree.
    Mondello does have a proven track record, a pretty good one. From what I've seen and heard, most of the negative is because of high prices and/or people cutting corners.
    Glastron Guy is one of the people that built his Olds using Mondello parts and suggestions without cutting corners and he has a very good running Olds.
    To me, you will spend somewhere around $1,000.00 just for the switch from Olds to Chevy plus the cost of the rebuild. That money could go into the engine you have now.
    What it boils down to is what you want and how much you have to spend.
    I think I already mentioned this but Mondello's is giving LBBA members a 10% discount, I know it's not a huge amount but any discount helps.
    Also, if you have a mind to come on over to Tower Park on Aug 23. There will be quite a few people there running Olds motors that you can talk to and you don't have to be a member to come.
    Jim Coffey of Performance Jet and Walt of Walt's Hot Boat will be there also, I'm sure both of them have built some very good running Olds motors. Another good thing about them is they are both right here in NoCA.
    455Olds,
    With the low oil pressure, I'd be concerned about bearing clearances. Even with a stock replacement oil pump you should see 45lbs to 60lbs.

Cas
    oh yea, those are my opinions and you can take them for what they're worth

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast