Thread: 455 info needed

Taylorman
    Can someone post a picture of there external oil drain lines on a 455. I am thinking about doing this and im not sure where to weld in the fitting on the oil pan. I bought a Moroso 8 qt marine pan.

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
    just a question here. I have heard alot about the inherant oiling problems on these oldsmobile. No harm intended. I'm just curious why so many builders used these engines. Was the problem not known back then or were the engines just cheaper?

Taylorman
    My guess, and its just a guess is that was the choice big block in its day. My boat is a 76. Seems like the later model boats started getting Chevys and Fords.

cyclone
    when jets were first put into boats, the 455 was a common engine/drive package offered by companies like hardin marine. Its not a bad motor and it makes excellent torque which is good to have in a jet. But the oil system is not up to the task when the motor is run at WOT for extended periods of time.
    The Chevy's popularity grew because it is a great motor and parts are cheaper and more readily available.

Taylorman
    Hey what about me. How about my question.

mud duck
    I also believe the Olds 455 was lighter in weight compared to other big blocks. Good horse power and lots of torque in a small package, good choice. I know my 1976 Tornado flew.
    Taylorman, have you thought about getting the Edelbrock aluminum heads? They should take care of some of the oil problem accumulating in the heads. And allow for much better breathing too. They might be a nice addition to your boat this year.

sidewound
    OK I FEEL YOUR PAIN. FOR YOUR NEEDS.
    Here's where I drilled my heads. Stay up in the beefy part of the heads. Dont go down into the galley itself. The casting is too thin. Mine are about even with the tops of the return.
    [img]http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/114MyPump046-med.jpg[/img]
    This is where I went into my pan. If I had it to do over (I wish) I would have run them in the front of the pan. OLD GUY has some pics of that on his 455
    [img]http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/114MyPump045-med.jpg[/img]
    Peace Man
    CESAR