Thread: Rebuilding a Holley??

AntRant
    Well i think im going to attempt to rebuild my Double Pumper 600cfm (#4776?). What i want to know is this an easy task or one left for the pro? What kit sould i buy (Holley or Quik Fuel)? I want to replace the Power Valves but is that all ready in the kit? If not which size should i get? Any tips or tricks welcome. AntRant

sidewound
    I dont know how handy you are but you don't need to be a rocket scientist to rebuild the hollys. Heres a test. Hold both hands out in front of you. Count how many fingers. If you came up with ten you can probably handle it. They are much simpler than others such as carters. The kit comes with instructions. Make sure you spend the money on a can of carb cleaner and clean everything REAL WELL. that is half the process. Take care when setting the float level cause this can cause problems if not done correctly.Good luck.
    Sidewound

Hotcrusader76
    There are pros and cons between which kits and why you should by which one over the other...
    I'll round up the part numbers for ya, prices and what's included. A basic rebuild isn't all that difficult, just gaskets and a good cleaning. The big thing is to recognize a faulty part over the other and to ensure the surfaces aren't warped...
    Stay tuned...
    ~Ty

rmclague
    Never use any thing but Holley parts. The aftermarket is junk. Also for real insight go to:
    www.bob2000.com/carb.htm
    The best site for Holley info
    Rob

AntRant
    Thanks....Thats all i need to hear...
    Hotcrusader76, I'll be waiting for your price

Hotcrusader76
    Ok here it is...
    Stock Holley Trick kits are great, but do not contain any hardware or quality gaskets at that matter. You can call Jegs or Summit for a kit. For the simple refresh, this is the way to go "Most bang for the buck"
    If you want the most complete retail kit available call Marvin or Marty over at Quick Fuel Technologies. They use the BG Red gaskets, which I KNOW are superior than Holley versions, and they also contain all new hardware, nuts, bolts, .110 Viton needles (all Holley brand components with QFT, not gaskets though), and Hi-flow power-valves which I find are superior to Holleys replacement valves. Why? The material the makes up the rubber flapper is sealed/crimp alot nicer than I have seen.
    Now I know that's only two kits to choose from, but the bang for the buck factor is best when using one of the two listed kits for a simple rebuild. I have used both and they work great, I just know that QFT offers a more thorough kit.
    QFT-3-100 4160 kits- ~$18.42
    QFT-3-102 4150 kits- ~$33.83
    Superkits by QFT "Recommended choice"
    QFT-3-300 4160 kits- $36.09
    QFT-3-302 4150 kits- $65.41
    Jegs offers them cheaper than Summit but you don't get as much in the kits as QFT offers. Trust me!
    Tell Marvin or Marty, TPC Racing recommended them to you.
    ~Ty
    [ December 09, 2002, 07:32 PM: Message edited by: Hotcrusader76 ]

AntRant
    Thanks Ty....