Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you launch a jet boat?

dgie
    I realize this is a stupid question to some, but how do you launch a jet boat? It seems there are a lot of things to do. I may be doing it alone so i am interested in how they do it. I need to get the boat running, then adjust the gate valves, that are back by the transom (do people move them forward more so they can reach them withoust jumping out of the boat). I then have to worry about the boat taking off while i am doing all this. I am iterested how others do all this when they are alone at the launch.

woodster
    Why do you have to mess with the gate valves? It should be preset.. If u mean the one for your wet headers,On my old boat i ran heater hose to under my front seat of my boat and put a handle valve on it.. Then i could turn the water off when idling and on when running..

dgie
    I have one gate valve between the pump and the engine. The reason for this valve is to turn it on and off when hooking up a water hose. I have one from the outlet of the engine intake neck to turn on and off the water to the headers, sounds similar to the one you had up by your sea. I only have it there for when I am running off a water hose. I have the Bassett pressure "T" valve for whe it is running off the pump. I also have one at the outlet with a gauge hooked to it. I was told to adjust the valve leading out of the boat until the headers start to stem, then the boat will be ready. That would require me to get out of the boat to adjust it. I could move it forward like you say. That would require the water to travel forward of the boat and then all the way back to get dumped out the back.

Here's a suggestion that might help out some. First, put whatever you know you're gonna need in the boat tools etc. If you're by yourself (assuming you are), remove any back tiedowns, make sure your bilge plug is in and back your truck up until your trailer's fenders are just about to go completely under water, maybe 2" of fender showing. Release the nose pin and attach a rope to the bow eye. Push your boat off the trailer while holding the rope, you can then walk the rope out along the dock area and tie the boat off to the dock. This will allow you to go park your truck before everyone in line starts going nuts.
    If it's a new to you boat, you probably won't want to venture too far from the dock.
    As for the water valve thing...........make sure you start out with it all the way open (counterclockwise). It'll take a while to warm up the engine. You'll probably have to idle around for quite a while before the temp gauge will register. You'll want to adjust the valve a little at a time until your idle temperature is 150-180 degrees. Once that's done, you should be good to go. You'll see your temperature go way down (100 degrees isn't uncommon) while you're running the boat at anything over an idle due to the volume of water that's going through the block, but that's normal. When you return to idle it'll slowly go back up to the 150-180. Make sure you have steam coming from your headers or you'll blue em.
    Hope it helps some.
    [ May 26, 2003, 10:03 AM: Message edited by: Squirtcha? ]

RandyH
    I agree with Squirtcha, It has been tough for my wife to learn how to back up the rig. She starts to steam so I just throw her in the boat, untie everything, put in the plugs, test fire it to make sure it going to start and back it in. Pull it down the dock , tie it up and go park the rig. Make sure your reverse bucket is open so that you flood the pump while you are backing in also.
    Pulling it out is the same way. Tie it up in the same place if you can, go get the truck and most of the time you can just rope pull it right on to the trailer and wench it up. Now getting it centered on the trailer is another story.
    Good Luck,
    RandyH

Danhercules
    Make sure your reverse bucket is open so that you flood the pump while you are backing in also. This past trip when I put the boat in, I fired her and put in in rev and gave some gas and my boat went no where. I put it in fwd and nothin(no gas cause there was the ramp in front of me). I put in in rev again and reved it. nothin. I thought my pump was trashed. All of a sudden it pulled, all was ok then. Is that what happend, an air pocket? I did not think that could happen. eek!

victorfb
    it doesnt take much to cavitate the pump, a small baggie, or weeds, (not smokeable) will leave you stranded till you reach in and pull it out. or like dan did, just rev it and make hamburger out of it. if you leave your boat in the water at night, make sure you reach under and clean the grate before you fire it up. for some reason stuff collects there like a magnet.

victorfb
    a good way to launch a jet boat is..... rev the heck out of it and slam the gate open. it should launch nicely.

thedroid
    Like Squirtcha said...
    If it's a new to you boat, you probably won't want to venture too far from the dock.
    And if your on a river make sure to go UPstream.

GlastronGuy
    I'll add:
    I fire it up at home before I leave to make sure the battery is charged, then I turn off the battery switch. I load all gear into the boat and make sure that the bilge plug is in.
    While I am waiting in line to launch, I make sure all the tie downs (except for bow eye) are off, battery switch in on. I really hate it when some jackass backs his boat into the water then starts loading all of his crap into it from the tow vehicle.
    I open the reverse bucket all the way before I back into the water.
    Before the tow vehicle has a chance to pull away, I make sure it will start. If there is a dock I wait there till my tow driver gets back. If there is no dock, I pull away from the ramp and crank Stevie Ray Vaughn in the CD player. I wait outside the ramp area until the driver is back at the ramp before I pull back up to the ramp area.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast