Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Short stroke, big bore, or long stroke small bore

beached1
    Originally posted by Boater Bill:
    I think its neat that you went the opposite direction most of us would go. It will be fun to see how it responds in your ride. Did you put those good heads on?
    No I decided against using them on this engine. I had to face reality and the fact that my boat is just a bow rider cruiser. This is why I decided to just build something that would be peppy, reliable and fairly quick (I hope). I was told that I shouldn't run those heads unless I had 7/16" rod bolts. I have the smaller 3/8's. The rods, as well as the crank, and pistons were free (actually they cost me a couple of boxes of Cigars) so I didn't feel I needed to drop 500 bucks for the bigger rod bolt rods. The rods I'm using are aftermarket (can't rememebr the make) and they were equiped with ARP bolts. Not bad. So, I stayed with my large oval port cast irons. I have recently picked up a bare BBC 4 bolt main block. I have a dream of building a nasty twin turbo LS7 some day with it and dropping it in a little Hallett bubble deck or something. Those Merlins would work well there I think. I'm new to all of this. I have never built a 4stroke before, not to mention a big block. But I have learned alot in these forums over the past year. I hope to learn much more. Thanks for all your input.

beached1
    Originally posted by HBjet:
    Didn't you get some pump work done this year too?
    HBjet
    Yes,
    At the end of last summer, I ate some of your Krispy Kreames while Jack @ MPD modified my Jacuzzi WJ impeller and bowl. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/wink.gif So I'll have to pass on the Panther.

beached1
    If I get the time tonight, I'll post some pics of my first engine build. I finished it up last night. As mentioned above, I had a fairly stock 454. Now, I have a 427. I had the crank, rods, pistons, flex plate and harmonic balancer all balalnced as a unit. This only cost me $150, I would strongly recomend this to anyone for that price. Crower cam, lifters, springs, and roller rockers. Jacobs ign. Edlebrock performer air gap maifold, Demon 750 dp with a K&N. I cut the 3 1/2 to 3" reducer out of my exhaust log risers. Now it's at 31/2" which goes into 4" EMI tips.
    The old guy at the Machine shop that hooked my up with alot of this stuff said, " I don't know what you're doing with your boat son, but all I can say is you better get a chin strap for your hat"
    Oh, I hope I he's right. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12