Thread: What year 460 ?

RH
    I am going to keep an eye out for a replacement motor for my Spectra 18 [1976 460 berk. JE ]. What is the best year BBF to look for and what cars did they come in ? I dont want to build a super hypo motor I would like to find an old stock factory performance motor , rebuild it and leave it pretty stock . thanks RH

77Spectra
    I believe any of them will work for you. They have enough beef in the bottom to handle 500 plus hp without going to a four bolt. The heads vary alot. The older D0VE, C9VE, and a few other heads have the large valves. You will want screw in studs, pushrod guides, and hardened pushrods. You can use Chevy rockers.
    The guys here really helped me out....dc

hack job
    go witht he c8ve , c9ve or dove blocks they are great blocks the have lots or room to go larger! ( thick) as for the two bolt issue in a jhet boat you are not going to be spiing high rpms so its not too much of a issue.
    you might want to see if you could find a cj block its the cobra jet block its more high perf. but it gives room to grow on it dosent have to be wild! there is a lot of good guys on here that can help alot .
    as for heads it depend on what you want to do i have a 600 hp ford 501 and iam running the smog heads to keep my compression down. (ie.one way to use pump gas)my heads are the d3ve a2a heads and the have been ported pretty well! you could run those one a older block or the oler heads and you would have a nice running motor!
    what year is you block as of now?
    email me if you need any help!
    wink

RH
    what year is you block as of now?
    I dont have a clue . I am new to this jet boating thing as well as Fords . I'll take a look and see If I can find the casting #'s and look them up . RH

hack job
    they will be on the block right above the starter. going upward. good luck any let us know! wink

RH
    Here are the numbers of my current motor and heads
    Heads = D3VE-A2A / 1973 Lincoln
    Block = D1VE-6015-A2B / 1971 Lincoln
    I am not sure on the heads what the A2A means or on the block what the 6015-A2B stands for . RH

77charger
    RH:
    Here are the numbers of my current motor and heads
    Heads = D3VE-A2A / 1973 Lincoln
    Block = D1VE-6015-A2B / 1971 Lincoln
    I am not sure on the heads what the A2A means or on the block what the 6015-A2B stands for . RHyour block is a a good satring point.Also a bbf can tolerate a 1/2 point higher comp ratio than a bbc due to the size of the combustion chamber and use of a flat top piston.A 10-1 and pump gas is no prob!if you smooth out the chambers 10.5 will be max.A pop up type piston will have hot spots which will cause detonation.(open chamber and pop up type piston).A truck motor will have the better rods(scj)type they have the football shaped rod bolt heads.but the car ones will hold out fine depending on your rpm i have turned mine up to 5600 rpm and it has a stock lower end.(only on bursts not more than 15 secs)