Thread: 460 intake manifold

Ray Hamel
    What would happen if I installed the intake manifold backwards on on my 460 engine???? Was just sitting here with my third "Southern Comfort" and looking at the water line hook up. The water goes in the front cover plate and comes back out the thermostat hosing (no thermostat) which is also at the front. Wouldn't it make more sense to flow water all the way through the block & heads, then exit at the rear????? OK. I'm ready for all the shots. Which reminds me, it's time for my next S.C.

Blown 472
    If the head gaskets were modified to do so, the gaskets force the water to flow from back to front.

HOSS
    Ah dude,,,don`t drink.
    I`d be much more worried about oiling and spark before water flow. After you sober up take a look at the distributor.
    [ September 11, 2003, 07:13 AM: Message edited by: HOSS ]

460rogers
    Since the dist does not go thru the intake on a 460 your problems would be mods to head gaskets and sealing front and rear of lifter valley.Too much trouble in my opinion for no real gain.You will still have lines going to front timing cover.But hey why not?

Ray Hamel
    Hey, I appreciate not getting rosted on this. I've had my asprin and Alka-S and am much better now. However, now my curisoity is getting the best of me . Looking at the head and intake gaskets, I don't see anything that needs modifications. The intake gaskets (Mr. Gasket) have a H20 opening at the front and rear. The intake manifold (Edelbrock - Performer) Only has an H2O opening in the front and the rear has no port. If I turn it around, it will still flow water and I can now use short hoses to the rear of the manifolds (Logs with over transom risers). What am I missing????

malcolm
    How about the funky angle your carb will now be sitting at?

Ray Hamel
    Malcolm, you are so right about that carb angle. I guess I will basket case the whole thought!!!!
    If Blown472 and 460rogers are correct about having to rework the gaskets (and I do believe they are correct), then it WOULD be too much work and I don't want to take a chance of screwing up a perfectly good engine.
    Back to reality and putting this thing back together. Thanks for all the input. People like all of you are the reason this is such great forum.

malcolm
    You really had me thinking on that one! I didn't realize they would go on backwards. I went to work the next day and tried putting an intake on my dad's 460 and it fit either way. That's when I noticed the carb angle.

Hallett19
    maybe you have a V-Drive...... trader !!