Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: paint removing?

victorfb
    ok, ive tried compressed air, and high preasure water. i cant seem to remove the clear coat (paint) that is on my hull. except of course for the areas that its coming off by itself. to my knowledge ive never heard of a chemical that would be safe for the gell but eat the paint. so am i going to have to slowly chip away at it with a razor blade? or what? any idea? i suspect sanding would work, but that is awfully difficult to not get into the gell too much. has anyone else ever had this problem?

skipp
    i have seen a product that is supposed to remove paint but not affect factory gell coat on corvettes. it is called spra strip paint remover and is available from ecklers. www.ecklers.com

victorfb
    ok cool. i guess there is a chemical then. any chance of getting that stuff without ordering through Ecklers? paint store, etc.

Jet City
    Might be a good idea to run that idea by one of the experienced gelcoaters like Havasu Barney before you spatter that junk on your boat.

skipp
    i did a search for spra strip and got several hits. this junk has been around for about 20 yrs. i have no personal experience with it but have seen it demonstrated at the corvettes at carlise show.it definately removed paint from old vette parts without damaging the gel. if i were going to try it,common sense says to try it on an inconspicuious spot on the hull first,but i agree that asking barney isn't a bad idea. here are a couple of phone # 1-800-421-9498, 615-883-5707

victorfb
    i couldnt agree with you guys more. i dont have barneys number and im figuring i will have to wait till monday to get ahold of him anyhow. but i will definatly be asking him alot of questions before hand. and as for the "spra strip" stuff, i have another hull that i would test it on. so dont worry too much about that yet.

hellbound
    start at the area thats delamining, with a dull razor blade, lot ,da the areas that won't come up, chemicals over gel coat? not sure i'd wann try that one, i mean its a boat, arnt they labors of love?..lol... good luck!

v-drive
    His number will be on his website. havasubarney.com and call him now as he doesn't keep normal hours or just leave a message. While your on his sight look at my sons(Bowtie Omega) boat. There is a before and after pic. v-drive

boatdude
    Just an FYI, If your intent is to reclear the hull you just need to sand the complete area and pay more attention to the crappy areas, wet sanding with 220 then to 400 should do the trick. Just need to smooth those edges out. Complete entire hull with 600 and re-apply the clear. Damb thing needs to be smooth! Find a good quality clear that has a flex additive as well.

Bow Tie Omega
    IF YOU DO NOT USE TO ROUGH OF A SAND PAPER, GOING THROUGH YOUR GEL SHOULD NOT BE A PROBLEM. SOMETHING THAT BARNEY TAUGHT ME ON MY LAST VISIT TO HIM IS THAT GEL IS MUCH MORE FORGIVING THEN PAINT ONCE IT IS LAYED DOWN AND CURED. THE GEL IS MOST LIKELY MORE THICK THEN THE CLEAR COAT ANYWAYS. BUT IF YOU ARE GOING TO SHOOT MORE GEL , GETTING ALL OF THE CLEAR COAT OFF IS A MUST, JUST ASK BARNEY ABOUT THE TIME HE HAD WITH MY NEW GEL ALlGATORING WHEN HE SHOT THE BTO. GIVE HIM A HOLLAR. THIS KIND OF PROCESS IS NEVER FUN AND REQUIRES ALOT OF WORK. GOOD LUCK...JOE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast