Thread: HEI Distributor

dirtvet
    I have an old points type distributor that I would like to change to an HEI on my 20' spectra. It's got a BBC and I think its a direct swap, but I thought I would ask the think tank for your opinion. Would I need to keep the ballast resistor? The old dist. has no vacume tube comming off the vacume advance, could I run a new HEI the same way?
    Thanks in advance.

Duane HTP
    Yes, they will swap. Just eliminate the resistor and hook the 12 volt ignition wire directly to the battery terminal of the HEI. Leave the vacume advance unhooked and set your total timing at 34 to 36 degrees.

DUCKY
    That pretty much covers it, but, if you don't already have the HEI, don't bother. Just buy a Pertronix Ignitor to eliminate your points. They take about 30 min. to install and give great perfomance for about $80. Hei's are a great unit if it has the good module and coil, but a stock one stinks.

THE BOSTON SIDEWINDER
    I WENT THROUGH THE SAME MOD BUT I KEPT THE VACUUM TUBE HOOKED UP TO THE INTAKE, SHOULD I TAKE OFF THE TUBE? WHAT DIFFERENCES WILL I SEE?...BILL.

Back Forty
    Hmmm. what gauge wire is feeding that ballast resistor?
    I decided to use a relay to feed mine when I recently converted. I did not see it as practical to run that increased current all of the way up to the ignition switch and back on the original little wires that once fed the original coil. I have a nice short run to a battery access in 12 guage through a 30 amp relay. Something to think about.

dirtvet
    Thanks for the info. I thinking about a Summit Blueprinted HEI with 50,000 volt coil. I will look at the Pertronix unit also.

Popeyes Ride
    Try a performance HEI distributor
    http://www.performancedistributors.com/

Chris J
    One thing to keep in mind. The HEI has a larger cap. If you plan to install a tunnel ram or blower in the future you won't be able to run the HEI do to clearance problems. There are a few old single hi rises from the late 60s and 70s that won't clear either.