Thread: Tunnel Ram for Chevy 502

USMC1812
    Based on the great advice that I got from you guys, I bought the Kona, which after the first weekend of use I can still say was a good purchase!
    Now I am looking for some advice on a tunnel ram for the boat. The engine is a Chevy 502 with ported and polished heads, mild cam, and a Holley 850. As it is now, it redlines at about 5600 RMPs. What do you guys suggest? From the research that I have done, most of the manifolds that I have found state that they will not work with the HEI distributor that I have. I guess first of all what is to be gained with the addition of the tunnel ram over the stock aluminum manifold? Second, what kind of setup do you guys suggest single or duel carbs? Keeping in mind that I don't want to have to mess with it all of the time when I am on the lake. Thanks again for all the great help!!!
    Doug

DEL51
    USMC1812,I would run that boat, the way it is, for the summer. I like tunnel rams and they can work well but if you were to compare it to a good single plane high performance intake, you may gain 25 horsepower. I would suggest using a team G or dart single plane. You could swap that pretty easy and you only have to tune one carburetor.It takes big changes to make a mph difference. If you do not run headers, put some on and swap your intake and you will see a performance gain.What size is your impeller?
    [ July 24, 2002, 12:24 AM: Message edited by: DEL51 ]

USMC1812
    not sure what size it is i will have to get intough with the guy but i want ot say that it is a combo a/b? Next to a sea-doo the boat runs about 65-68 Mph.

hack job
    iam runnig a tunnel ram and i would tell you that unless you motor needs that much fuel don waste your time , go with the team G , or victor. one carb is a lot easier to tune ( not to menchin cheeper )so get your self a 850 mech. secondary and some better exhaust ( if you dont have that allready)good luck

no laughing at my exhaust ( its about 600 hp)

USMC1812
    What size do you think would be the best, there are quite a few to choose from?

DEL51
    USMC,If you are looking for headers, call bassett or rewarder and get the water injectected, 2 1/4 inch primary tube headers.I am sure you will be able to talk to a decent rep from either company. The intake will compliment the header install. An 850 carb should be fine as well as the a/b impeller.

DEL51
    USMC,If you are looking for headers, call bassett or rewarder and get the water injectected, 2 1/4 inch primary tube headers.I am sure you will be able to talk to a decent rep from either company. The intake will compliment the header install. An 850 carb should be fine as well as the a/b impeller.

hack job
    the draw backs to water injected ot headers ! they can lead to reversion and or rust on valves, and they are damn hot! . it would seem to me the best buy would be the water jacketed headers . they keep the water out of the exhaust till late in the path this is why they cost more plus they are extremly hard to make! tube in a tube! check out
    www.boatheaders.com
    or
    www.bassettracing.com
    [ July 24, 2002, 01:16 PM: Message edited by: hack job ]

blowngas
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by USMC1812:
    [QB]Based on the great advice that I got from you guys, I bought the Kona, which after the first weekend of use I can still say was a good purchase!
    Now I am looking for some advice on a tunnel ram for the boat. The engine is a Chevy 502 with ported and polished heads, mild cam, and a Holley 850. As it is now, it redlines at about 5600 RMPs. What do you guys suggest?
    most tunnel rams are used for high rpm (7000-8500) race applications--edlebrock does make an oval port (street tunnel) that I have used and the flat pulled pretty decent up to 7200--(flat tappet cam)---put an edlebrock air gap manifold on a friends jet--worked really good---ok low end and good responce @5500, with 750 holley---the victors, team G's ect. are again made for high end flow--if you use your boat mostly for lake fun, then go with the air-gap---good low end and top end ---and you can use your hei---