Thread: Question for HAVASU BARNEY?

DOHARA
    Hey barney, can you wet sand gel coat or will it mess up the clear coat? I buffed it out with a 3M
    compound and used # 20 maguires after. It turned out ok but I thought the 3M compound would have taken out more of the surface scratches. The guys at Crystal liner in costa mesa said not to wet sand it. Also my boat is metalic blues with 3 different greys. We asked if they could repair the blue section that had some minor damage and they said they could but it would have a cloudy area around the repair. Just thought since your the pro in this area you could help. When we come out this summer to havasu we can come by and have you check it out and maybe leave it with you.
    Thanks,
    Dano

HavasuDreamin'
    You will have better luck posting this message over at www.havasubarney.com under the fiberglass section on the forum.

HOOTER SLED-
    I'm no Havasu Barney but I wet sanded off all the oxidation on mine and buffed it out. It made a huge difference. I didn't really touch the metallic areas. I didn't want to take the clear down to the flake. The other areas were cool. I just had to be careful where some of the gel color was running thin. You'd have to see it to believe it. Be prepared to do alot of work if you do it yourself. To me it was worth saving the cash and mine was able to be saved. Gel work is spendy. I still can't post pics here. If you wanna check out how mine looks, look in my photo album in the Image Center. Good luck.
    Jason

HBjet
    Barney wet sanded the bow of my boat, and it turned out really nice!
    Dano, Crystaliner is right by my work, that's where I bought my gelcoat to do the bilge area in my boat.
    HBjet

i wet sanded mine and reshot it with clear
    with metal flake in it and it turned out
    looking nice. pat(slotracer)

HavasuBarney
    You can wetsand the area, should not be a problem and it should clean it up nice. On some older gel, it's easy to sand though the clear and into the flake, if that happens it will slightly discolor the flakes.
    If it's older gel, re-shooting clear as Slotracer suggested might be a good way to go.
    I'm sure we can fix you up without any cloudy areas.