Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Expected salary for Hot Boat ??

Havasu Hangin'
    It's not the size- it's how you use it.

RIVERTIME
    Is this boat for you or are you just trying to figure out how much your boss or neighbor is making?

RiverDave
    I have a very simple answer to Fastech's question. No, 50-70K a year is not enough to live on and buy one of the afore mentioned boats. You will probably be able to buy one don't get me wrong, but you won't be able to drive it. Owning a boat is EXTREMELY expensive, Think of (in most Californians cases) trailering it to the river, there is 180-300 (depending on size of boat and vehicle) just in gas! Then comes the fun part you fill up your boat there goes another 150! God forbid becuase you are a new boater you touch the prop on something. We have a rule in my family everytime you hear a noise in a boat it's a grand. Either the bent prop to actual outdrive damage it isn't cheap. Plus insurance etc... getting kinda pricy and here comes the kicker. IT'S A BOAT! Things break on boats almost like it's some kinda weird sacrificial ritule. So even you buy a used 28 footer after all that you just ate up your entire salary and your liven on top ramen. No good, I would strongly agree with spectra's only start with a smaller boat. That way you don't kill your bankroll or one of us out on the lake/river. I would strongly recomend looking at a 21 Ultra. This is a great place to start, they make a good looking boat, that is incredibly easy to drive, and it holds it's resale fairly well so when you decide to step it up later, You won't get killed in the deal. (Providing you take care of the boat) After owning your first Ultra you might consider buying a larger one to boot! I hope that helps, see you at the river, RiverDave.

FASTECH
    I'm glad that out of the 12 replys or so, someone answered most of my question.. I think i would like to get a 88 baja 272, i saw one for around 42,000, it looks newer but i am not sure.. check it out..it looks like it's in good shape...
    man thats a long address, sorry..but this website.. www.boats.com (http://www.boats.com) is awesome, it has millions of power boats for sale, so i look at it a lot, since i can only dream for now.. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/frown.gif

dirtlawyer
    Fastech -
    OK, this is a long one......
    First - the Baja on the link is not a 1988 - it looks like a 1998 or newer. The 272 was first produced in 92 or 93 (I believe) - prior to that the model was quite different and was called a 270. Nonetheless, the boat is a great boat - I have the Shooter version of the same boat (main diff - came with a windscreen - no windshield).
    Second - I agree with Riverdave's comments - anyone with decent credit can get a loan - whether itÂ’s for a car, boat or home. Just because you can get the loan doesn't mean you can afford it.
    Remember also, that the boat loan is not the only expense..... insurance, repairs, gas, storage, etc........ it adds up.
    Like Riverdave said - its a boat - things will break and they're usually not cheap to repair. You have got to plan for repairs and have a "slush fund" for them - otherwise your weekends will be spent onshore more than offshore......
    To give you an idea of the costs of boating: my wife and I own a Baja 272 Shooter (27') w/ a 502 Mag EFI. My monthly boat payment is approximately $300 (had a sizable down payment and relatively short loan term). My insurance costs $750 per year. Storage is approximate $275 per month. We typically burn about 50 gallons + of gas each time we use the boat, so @ $1.99 per gallon (marina prices) this equates to another $100+ EACH TIME WE USE THE BOAT. We average 6 to 8 outings per month, so that equates to another $800 + or - per month. Add it up - comes to well over $1200 per month for recreation. That's within a few hundred dollars of our mortgage for a 2800 sf home.... WITH NO FUTURE RETURN.
    Don't get me wrong - I am an avid boater - and have been for 20 years (no I'm not that old, just stared when I was 16). All I'm saying is pace yourself. Start out with an 18 - 20 footer... Get a "mini go-fast" there are lots of good ones out there. Remember, that boats lose their value extremely quick - find a good used boat that someone has taken care of, then budget to spend another $1000 to $1500 to proactively correct any existing problems: i.e. immediately replace manifolds, have the outdrive pulled and serviced and replace the batteries, alternator and starter (unless they have been replaced with new w/i 12 months and the owner has the receipts). When I purchased my Shooter, it had 150 hours on it (relatively low) - nonetheless I spent over $3500 in preventative maintenance (Ok, that did include an exhaust upgrade) - by now I'm sure that you get the picture......
    As far as your "salary" question - my wife and I both earn in excess of the 6-figure mark - nonetheless powerboating is an expensive hobby BUT I WOULDN'T TRADE IT FOR THE WORLD.
    If you're looking for a great used sportboat, Lightning Bay Marine in St. Pete has a 20 Ft Chaparral Villain (newer style) in excellent condition for about $10,000. the boat is extremely well maintained and would be relatively inexpensive to operate (has a 350 Mag carb.). It has thru hull exhaust and is a 60 mph boat. Greater starter boat - I should know, it used to be mine. If your interested check out the website - www.lightningbaymarine.com (http://www.lightningbaymarine.com) or call them and ask for Mike, the owner.
    Sorry if I sounded like a parent - not intended.... just believe that the best way to learn is from other's experiences (and/or mistakes). Best of luck in whatever you do.

FASTECH
    thanks for the help dirtlawyer...i really like the baja, they look great and are affordable, if you check this boat out at www.boattrader.com, (http://www.boattrader.com,) could you tell me if these are a good price, b/c i went to this website.. www.bajaboats.com (http://www.bajaboats.com) thinking it was the baja website but instead it was a website with a million complaints of how cheap bajas are put together and that they are the bayliner of power boats..if thats true then i dont know if i want one... but here are the 2 baja boats i really like
    One is a 272, the other is a 302..thanks
    ** http://www.boattraderonline.com/addetail.html?914307 **
    ** http://www.boattraderonline.com/addetail.html?962989 **

mpally
    I disagree. A two person income with an salary around $100,000 to $140,000 should be able to afford and run a $40,000 - $50,000 boat. Sure, they won't have a $300,000 house a drive new cars all the time, but they could afford the boat. I am not saying owning a boat is not expensive however. It can be very expensive. I agree that he should start out small though. A 24 to 27 foot boat with a single is a good starter boat. Don't go with twins. Learn to drive a single first and then move up. Most importantly, take care of whatever you buy. You should spend about 1 to 2 hrs. after each trip cleanning a 24 - 27 ft. boat. It will save you a lot of money when you sell. Mark

dirtlawyer
    Fastech -
    regarding Baja quality - read the magazine reviews/reports - they are a good solid boat for the money. Granted, a Baja is not a Formula or Cigarette, but I still believe that its a great boat for the $$ spent. Everyone has their opinions and likes/dislikes - some for good reasons, some for bad. Incidentally, my present boat is my second Baja - and I have been extremely happy with both that I have owned. My next boat will probably be a Baja as well....
    As for the 272 and the 302 on Tradeonline - both look like pretty decent deals. Check out nada.com for marine price guidelines. Also check out yachttrader.com - decent website for used boats...
    Personally, I would go with a single engine boat for your first boat - twins are great but, are twice the maintenance cost.
    Mark - I agree with you as to ability to afford a 40 to 50K boat; its all a matter of priorities.... As for maintaining it - AMEN brother! The cardinal sin of a boat owner is not maintaining your investment!
    best of luck!

FASTECH
    Well, once i become a web designer i will be starting off at $65,000, hopefully i will be married by then, but if not would it be wise to get a baja 272, i know i can get one for 39,000, and i also know you guys keep saying that i should start off with a 18 footer, but as stubborn as i am i am sure i would go with the 20 year loan , and get the baja...I mean i should be able to afford it i guess, since i won't have to gt a big house or anything...

formula93
    It is possible, if you are "creative" to create enormous "toys" on an "inferior" income. My collective income is between the 50-100K mark, but I own 3 homes (two at the lake, a 25 foot Formula-blown, a 25 foot Landau pontoon, a fishing boat & a wave runner....All are in my dock on lifts. My garage (home workshop) is 1600s.f. & heated and airconditioned, full bathroom & shower, etc (my dog-house). What I'm saying here is don't ever think "things" or dreams are impossible or out of reach. Keep those dreams.... What it takes is hard work & dedication. Two of the houses I built myself & are "class-acts" (one is for sale). You must be able to invest both money, time & SWEAT !! but all things are possible

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast